This is what I was afraid of...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tmac61, Oct 12, 2015.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

His ability to recruit great players to Tennessee, regardless of whether it was good years for TN prospects or legacy vols, was impressive given where the program was. I agree with those though that say anyone can recruit to Tennessee If they just put in work. That was one thing I admired about him early on. He was doing whatever it took to get great players to come to Tennessee. I hated the hire, but as he continued to get the types of players needed to compete in this leauge I thought he would at least get the chance to prove himself as a coach. He has had plenty of chances and failed miserably.

At this point I am still for second and third and tenth chances, because that's the type of person I am, but the margin of error is slim. Win out this year, win at least 11 next year. The talent is there. Its that simple.

2. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Three years ago most on this board said that he would have serious coaching changes to make once he had talent on the roster. Here we are. Talent has exposed the coaches. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

3. Tmac61

Tmac61 Has Credentials- Walter Effin Cronkite

nail. head. hammer.

This offseason is the most critical of Lyle's life. Is he going to sit back and relax on an 8-4 season or is he going to push his team to the next level with better hired than he made the first go around. Loyalty will kill you in this business.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It would be best if he could make them. I don't want to go through a coaching change.

He could be hands off, hire great assistants and get out of their way. Then, he could kiss all the babies, yuck it up and sell to recruits.

5. Tmac61

Tmac61 Has Credentials- Walter Effin Cronkite

bingo

6. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

He has worked his ass off to get the roster turned. It isn't all legacy recruits. I agree with you groves, but he's going to have a lot of changing to do to win big....and not just with assistants. Carnival barker or coach....time will tell.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

When you comin back to Nash?

8. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Might be a while... It is a busy fall in Lex.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I appreciate how hard he's worked and how well he's cleaned up the academic mess.

I'll never hate him like I do Dooley, but he needs to win

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Significant staff changes means granting more time for new staff to gel. It's tough to give him either of those in light of his OC hire.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The DeBord hire tells me he cannot be trusted to hire outside his comfort zone.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why his comfort zone anything other than hiring the best most competent assistants that we can afford? That would be my comfort zone if I wanted to win. I swear I think I could win more than Butch for the simple reason that I would surround myself with the best staff money could buy.

13. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Yes but iirc QB Conner Shaw had a knee injury in that game, so you are partially right.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Coaches are an egotistical bunch.

15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Hell to the no!

16. TDVol1989

Butch is married to his philosophy and process. Based on the inbred nature of the DeBord hire, I see no reason to think that he would take any sort of risk during the year that could make or break his entire coaching career. I think everything we have seen in him shows a real preference toward extreme conservatism when pressured.

17. TDVol1989

o-74...bingo!!!

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yes, although I do wonder what percentage of the hire was comfort zone versus quid pro quo.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The DeBoard hire was worse than the OU & FL losses, combined. It's just not as visible to most, as those.

20. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

We keep hearing the whispers - Tyndall was the last straw, deboard was hired with the caviet that if he fails hart and laj both go, the fiasco with Crowder was forcing high level changes; yet Teflon Dave is still here. I guess no one really gives a shit.