Two Years In: Butch vs. Dooley

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by RockyHill, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I would absolutely say that Jones has done everything right except for on-field results. Hopefully they come in time as he is a stellar recruiter and a tireless worker.

I just don't see a Championship-capable coach pissing away a 17 point lead like that.

Pete Carroll did something close to that when he blew a 16-7 4thQ lead against Stanford in 2007 (finished 11-2). Stanford, at that time, was under 1st year coach Harbaugh and finished 4-8.

However, at that point, Carroll had done more than enough to prove he's worth his weight in gold. Jones hasn't done a damned thing and Carroll sure as hell never hired an Olympic Sports Admin to coach his offense.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

And my point in general has been that the "everything" you speak of blinded us to the concerning if not disastrous issues on the field.

3. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Please tell me you're joking.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it's the truth, duck.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I do too. Wilcox being an important stipulation.

6. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Having Dooley on the sidelines would have automatically cancelled out any competence accomplished by either Wilcox or Chaney.

We would have lost by double digits.

IMHO of course.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

With the key elements being Cheney and Wilcox.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The loss was not on the defense so I will take Wilcox out of the equation. Do you thing that Chaney would have called a better game Saturday night?

9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I don't know. DeBord is still a wild card to me, although I wasn't crazy about the hire when it first took place. But I am trying to remain open minded about him.

I am honestly trying to withhold a lot of my judgement about the staff until post- Florida. I personally feel like the Oklahoma loss is being overblown since I wouldn't have picked us to win in the first place and the loss is basically meaningless on paper.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I keep seeing this mentioned a lot (in various places). The game didn't really play out as if UT should have lost (or not thought to be able to win) which is more important to me that what any of us think would happen before kickoff. Ls are Ls and Ws are Ws but how is important when trying to figure what you have or don't have for the future. Had UT held together and won the game as it should have (and not a repeat of UF 2014) I would have considered that a positive step for the staff as much as the players. So meaningless wouldn't fit any where for me. They basically backed up a collapse from last year with another one this year.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

There is nothing to suggest that anything he would have done on offense would have worked on Saturday night. People are forgetting how bad he was at times here. We absolutely sucked at running the ball in any sort of short yardage play against any and every team we faced. And while we have weapons all over the field, the O-line isn't nearly as talented and the vertical pass game is not dobbs strength, nor would he have had any time.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the sprint draw was the only run play in the arsenal of Chaney while he was under Dooley

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Just put me out of my misery

13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They beat Akron. Big ****ing whoop.

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

17 pt lead evaporated. Relatively conservative O play calling in the first, an offensive implosion in the second. Overblown? Really?

Meaningless loss? Becoming relevant once again, national recognition, Top 25 ('12), playing another Top 25 team at home, yeah, I can't agree w/this.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Peterman was a combined 7-13 for 47 yards against Austin Peay and Utc

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

booty broke his finger and carroll didn't pull him in favor of sanchez. booty threw 3 ints after he broke the finger.

17. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

What I meant by this is that, as far as expectations for this season go, the loss did not mean that much. We have not started SEC play yet and if we take care of business there then rankings will take care of themselves. If we were in the national championship picture it would be different, but I dont know of many people that were predicting that this year.

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I think that we still win the SEC East. It speaks more for how down I think the East is than my confidence in the Staff.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't think this is a very good Oklahoma team. It certainly means a lot for the future that the loss happened at all.

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

It's not about the one game. It's what we saw from our staff. Namely that our HC is a massive pu$$y and literally can't coach.