Vols vs. State

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Oct 8, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The officials should have stopped the game. He was loopy.

utvol0427 and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Bump.

Credit where it is due. If you will notice, this post was made when we were 1-4, after UGa and Florida beat us by a combined 211-4, and the team looked like a special needs class against Ga St and BYU.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Even though Cotton won't give me credit, I will thank him for the reminder.

ptclaus98, TDVol1989 and IP like this.
  4. cotton

I was actually searching for your post when I came across bostonvol's. He had the good fortune to use the words I was going to put into search.

But nice prediction.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I predicted 9-3 to start the season.

2-10 after the debacle start.

Average those out and you have 6-6 (if you round one up and one down and squint your eyes).

I want some props!

IP likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

After BYU, I honestly thought a 10-loss season was a real possibility. Perhaps even likely.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

congratulations on identifying the exact number of games played in the regular season! uncanny!

Memtownvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  8. cotton

It was very hard to find more than 3 wins, for sure--UTC, UAB, Vandy.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I would have comfortably bet big money on at least 7 losses, without giving it a moment’s thought.

0% chance of a bowl game after BYU.

Tenacious D likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

it still doesn't feel real. it's a totally different team.

JT5 likes this.
  11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

The most satisfying part of the entire run is their ability to close tightly contested one-possession games on the road. Vols teams of recent memory would have faltered.

This feels like a program that’s firmly establishing itself as respectable again. Not necessarily top 25 yet, but out of the basement of the conference for good.

Even when we were 5-0 heading to A&M under Butch, you could look at the roster and you know we wouldn’t sustain the success following the departures of Dobbs, Kamara, Malone, Hurd, etc. This doesn’t feel that way. Will suck to lose Jennings, but best is yet to come.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Something clicked against Georgia. I wouldn't expect outsiders to notice that haven't watched us closely, but something clicked. And it was obvious to people who have watched the program closely.

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's just culture change imo. People follow where they are led. When your leader needs depends underwear, you tend to piss away opportunities. In retrospect, kicking the field goal against Dooley's team back in the day (much less the one against Oklahoma) is all we really needed to know about how Butch's teams would close games. It takes time to change culture when its roots are deep.

IP and justingroves like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

like merry Christmas, this has been said many times and many ways. and also like merry Christmas, it's always nice to hear, because it's the bare truth.