What was Spurrier thinking?!

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by dknash, Nov 2, 2014.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Of course I'm referring to Spurrier going for the 58 yard field goal in OT, as anyone with any intellectual prowess and/or curiosity whatsoever would have surmised. Couldn't believe it when it happened, and for me it was a huge letoff as that wouldn't have been the first awful conversion our defense allowed.

I mean, line Cooper up against Coleman and just throw it deep, right? You could have convinced me on anything else but the FG. Even if you think your kicker has a chance in hell (he doesn't), you have a timeout that won't carry over past the possession. Call it to make sure you get everything set up correctly, or alternatively do something that isn't dead on arrival - literally anything else. Some ideas:

• Try to quick kick the ball off a defender and hope the refs mess up the overtime possession rules.
    • Hide a guy laying down in the endzone and throw it to him immediately after the snap hoping no one notices or figures out that you don't have anyone with sub 3.0 speed on the roster.
    • Run the 20 random laterals crap that worked one time ever.
    • Intentionally fumble the snap and try to engineer a busted play.
    • Put Cooper in Wildcat.
    • Put Cooper under center.
    • Hand the ball to Cooper.
    • Have Cooper try to throw a ball off a defender back to himself for a simultaneous completion/reception.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

He was thinking Thompson would have been sacked again.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Thread title not Kidb approved.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Agree. Couldn't believe it when I saw it.

I think he just accepted it and moved on.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I still had no faith in a win after the sack on third down. It wasn't until the kicker trotted out that I thought a win was even possible.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, it was like he said **** it, I'm ready to go home

7. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

This.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This is where I was at. I just assumed Cooper would burn Coleman for the 600th time and score a TD on 4th down. Once I saw them line up for the field goal I knew we won. Anti climactic finish, really.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I think that was the case 100%. It sucks watching him decline this way, he is one of the best college coaches ever.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I remember my wife had an uncle, and he lived to be 102 or something. And we went to his hometown to celebrate his 100th birthday, and he was amazing. Working in the yard, driving, still as spry as a 20 year old.

Then, he hit 102, and sat down and died. It seems the same with Spurrier. Three 11-win seasons and then Boom! he has aged and looks like he is done.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's a real good analogy. I hate it for him.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks like a guy that's just pissed that he has a historic offense and no defense at all

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

How do you guys know what Spurrier was thinking? You all aren't at practice every day. Maybe their kicker is capable of 60+ yds. Ask their media that does go to practice. They can tell you. They were right about Dobbs....

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Should have had Pharoh kick it.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Well done.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You know what would have happened. Bad snap, Pharaoh picks it up and runs 40 yards for the TD.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I was surprised Tennessee didn't get a flag when they dragged Thompson around then Maggitt pushed him down again. That seemed like a UT way to lose a game.

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I like the first 4, but only if they center around Cooper.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Same here. That shove at the end was definitely bush league and uncalled for.

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The best part is TOOS saying it was O'Brien only trying to protect his knees.

Some brave individual really stepped up and made a point that if Dobbs was being treated like that people would call for the defender's heads.