Will Maymon be able to come back this year?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by reese_hallvol, Dec 10, 2012.

1. reese_hallvol

reese_hallvol New Member

I know it's been discussed frequently, but I can't seem to find a firm answer from anyone. If it's true that he's still walking with a noticeable limp, then his chances of an early return are looking very bleak. It'll take him a good month just to get his condition up to game shape, and get back in the flow and rhythm of the game. I've heard he'd be eligible to apply for a medical hardship of some kind with the NCAA, and could be granted a 6th year of eligibility if he can't return this year. If he won't be able to return to the lineup till late January or early February, I'd be in favor of holding him out so he could return fully healthy next season (if that's possible). Maymon, Golden, Mcrae, and Robert Hubbs could be a very good ball club. Thoughts?

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why no Stokes?

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to get a sixth year. He's still got a redshirt year.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If he's back, we 'll have a good team next season, but still no PG play. Passing, cutting and movement, ball and people, have to get remarkably better for it to matter.

5. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Yup. And I really believe Stokes will be back barring some miraculous improvement on his part, or better yet, someone else stepping up to release the pressure of the constant double teams....

6. reese_hallvol

reese_hallvol New Member

Hat, I believe he lost that redshirt year due to him transferring from Marquette. I may be wrong on that, but I seem to remember hearing that. I just don't see Stokes sticking around another year honestly. Due to an overall weak draft class next year, Stokes will most likely be drafted somewhere in the last half of the first round based on his potential alone.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm bout sick of hearing about Golden's assist/turnover ratio as if it were the be-all-to-end-all. Dude's not a playmaker.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He has a redshirt left.

People within the AD are thinking there is a fair chance Stokes will stay.

Same people are doubtful of Maymon's return. If he isn't ready really soon--and it doesn't look like he will be--does it make any sense to play him for a half year this year instead of a full year next? Does it make any sense for him to use his last year on a partial instead of a full year next season?

A few of these things are not yet decided, but if I were predicting, I'd guess Maymon will sit out this season and Stokes will return.

9. hatvol96

Anyone who drafts the current version of Jarnell Stokes in the first round is looking to get fired. Off my trip to DC, I can guarantee there are at least 8 teams who wouldn't draft him at all.

10. hatvol96

Grind it out. Make the back end of the field without Maymon, then put an ass kicking team on the floor next year.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Saving Maymon for next year also covers up our miss on that Memphis kid. Nichols, was it? An extra year to recruit an elite big would be really helpful.

12. reese_hallvol

reese_hallvol New Member

Hat, I agree that Stokes, as of right now, certainly isn't playing like a first rounder. But, the kid is 18 years old, and is virtually 6 games into his freshman year. He certainly has a lot to work on, and a lot of developing to do, but that will come as the season progresses. You'd have to be blind to not see the massive potential this kid has, and how high his ceiling is. He needs to get tougher in the post, develop a mid-range jumper and, most of all, work on free throws. However, these weaknesses in his game are to be expected at his age, and by all accounts, he's a tireless worker and an absolute gym rat. By the end of the year, Stokes will be a 16 and 10 guy, and make first team SEC. He's tough, has a big body, extremely athletic, and a relentless worker. The upcoming draft is going to be one of the weakest in years, and in terms of talent and potential, Stokes is certainly in the upper echelon of eligible draftees, and will be drafted accordingly.

Btw, Hat, who are these 8 teams that your guaranteeing wouldn't take Stokes? And who do you know that has any decision making authority in NBA front offices? Haha, I find it comical that you actually claim to know the inner workings, and draft strategies of 8 NBA front offices. I think it's safe to say that my guarantee that Stokes gets drafted in the 1st round is a bit more likely, (and realistic), than you claiming with absolute certainty to know that 8 different NBA franchises would never draft him. I love how those idiots on volnation over the years took your word as the gospel, as you constantly flaunted your many "connections" in basketball. Why in the hell did you leave Vol Nation, and your thousands of disciples, anyways? Keep it up, Hat. I truly enjoy it. No matter how ridiculously arrogant you can be, and the fact that you incessantly overstate your plethora of connections, and knowledge of the game. Lastly, would you mind stating your resume as it pertains to basketball, Hat? Play, coach, scout?

13. smokedog

smokedog New Member

I'm not sure if this was brought up elsewhere on the forum, but Maymon had a second knee surgery just a few weeks ago on the DL. It's unlikely that he'll be back this year.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

:popcorn:

15. hatvol96

How much "inner workings" does one need to know when scouts tell you they don't like the guy's game and don't see him as an NBA player right now?

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Stokes is not even close to a 1st round pick at this time.

17. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Has this actually been reported somewhere?

18. hatvol96

Watching Georgetown's size smother him raised a whole bunch of questions about his offensive game.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Are you confident that Tennessee makes the tournament without Maymon?

20. hatvol96

No.