Willie Taggart

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Nov 20, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We can go down that road forever. We don’t have Kiffin leaving us if Phil doesn’t quit trying hard then picks his OC from a list of three duds.

Also, the locker room was garbage when Kiffin took over.

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Honestly I’d be ok with Taggart. Certainly take him before Mullen, Norvell, Brohm.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Any of those three and I’m done. Schiano, too.

GahLee and tvolsfan like this.
  4. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Yeah I don’t get the Schiano thing. To me he’s pretty much like Dan Mullen. Took over a historically bad program, had one great year, and a few 7-8 win seasons. Nothing on his cv screams championship coach.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Would we not have matched it?

6. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I don’t know, he was making $2 million here right? I think SC nearly doubled that, don’t know if UT would have gone that far.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

agree with all that

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Probably not, plus it was his "dream job".

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Norvell is the most oft-mentioned name that I would absolutely hate to hire. What evidence do we have that he can have success on his own, let alone sustain it?

warhammer likes this.
  10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Saw that like 16 of 22 starters were recruited by him.

But I don't trust a 36 year old with that much gray hair.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Cal Ripken was a charlatan.

12. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I almost think we should keep an interim coach for however many years it takes to hire a real coach. It's impractical and wouldn't work but I'm tired of this.

The next coach will be an improvement over Butch to the same degree Butch was superior to Dooley. He'll last seven years with one SECcg appearance. Taggart or Mullen fit the bill.

13. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I don't understand the Taggart thing. admittedly, I've never seen his teams play, but the wikipedias says he's 46-50 and 0-1 in bowl play as a head coach...

...kinda not knocking my socks off so much.

so what am I missing?

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

He’s taken over programs that were dumpster fires and turned them around in a relatively short amount of time. Solid coaching pedigree as well.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Western Kentucky was 0-12 the year before Taggart took over. He went 2-10 in year one, then 7-5 twice.

USF was his next stop. USF was 3-9. First two years they weren't good, but got better each season. Year 3 8-5 and year 4 11-2

He's now rebuilding Oregon.

He played and coached for Jack Harbaugh, coached for Jim Harbaugh and recruits the south extremely well.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You are high. Kiffin left us out to dry. If he doesn't bolt after year one, Dooley never comes, Butch either. I know many here (for whatever reason) like Lane. I don't see it. He [uck fay]ed us over, he's an arrogant slimeball and he isn't that good of a coach. I hope he never has the opportunity to ever coach a game in Neyland again.

Ssmiff likes this.
  17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Everyone and their mother knew that he would take the USC job if it ever came about for him. It was no secret. The timing simply sucked for us.

18. Calculon

Calculon Member

You can’t blame Kiffin for the incompetent decisions made at UT after he left. You can only blame him for leaving the way he did. But when you consider why he left, it sucks, but it was understandable. He only gave the AD the opportunity to [uck fay] up. They were very successful at doing so. Sweet tea and grits, y’all.

19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

No, but I can blame him for putting them in that position. We could have salvaged the situation by not hiring complete losers for coaches, sure. He still set in all in motion by leaving the way he did. He's garbage.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Coaches leave all the time. He took his dream job. He didn't cause Dooley. Hamilton caused Dooley.

wildnkrazykat likes this.