Would a playoff have benefited fulmer?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by droski, May 25, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Going to give this question the consideration it deserves BRB NOPE

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I'd love to know what years he thinks it would have mattered. '93 would have been the only year I think they'd made it and fared well.

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

Psssht.. I still think we were lucky to face FSU's 3rd string QB.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The mother****er would have only qualified for it twice (97 and 98) and he already won one of them.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 2006 team were an Ainge rolled ankle away from being special

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

What?

In 1995 Tennessee was definitely in the category of "maybe would benefit from playoff," with only 1 loss to Florida early. But in 1997 we lost to #2 Nebraska, so having a playoff wouldn't have changed anything. In 1999, we lost to Florida early and then to an unranked Arkansas in the middle of November so I don't think we were going to be in the playoff picture. Even if we did luck in, we lost to #3 Nebraska in the bowl anyway so once again nothing would have changed.

In 2001 we lost in the SEC championship game to #21 LSU after having already lost to UGA, so I am not sure we would have been in the playoff picture. We were ranked #8. Spanking an overranked #17 Michigan team was fun but not very meaningful in a playoff field of 4.

2004?! We had two losses on the season, including one in November to Notre Dame (so not early), and lost again in the SEC championship game to Auburn. We were ranked 15 going into the SEC championship too, so I don't think we were playoff material either way.

The ONLY difference it would have made is maybe in 1995. Other than that, it would be a one or two "we made the playoffs!" crap. And I am not sure that we win a national title in 1998 with a playoff, so when the smoke cleared it may well have been a shot at a championship in 1995 against Nebraska (good ****ing luck, judging by 1997 and 1999) in exchange for a bird in hand in 1998 and some more official credit for being one of the best also-rans in 1997 and perhaps another year or two.

Fulmer is wrong.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

'93 was better. The only what ifs about that team occurred in a game where we tied the 2nd ranked team in the country. what if Shuler doesn't **** up his throwing shoulder or Stewart doesn't fumble at the 1 against Bama.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Dude needs to just shut up and go away.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't see how possibly making him coach and win more games in a season would have been anything but an unmitigated disaster. Of course everyone but Fulmer and maybe TOOS knows that.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Oh man. No. Just no.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If it had been an 8 team playoff? Sure. 4? No.

14. CardinalVol

Dumbest playcall of Cut's life.

Harrell and Inky being injured cost us Florida.

Add those three injuries back and that team's a legit contender.

15. NorrisAlan

I don't think Fulmer wins any championships if there is a playoff. Could he get into the playoff? Sure, but win one, no. Just not his strong suit.

16. CardinalVol

I think there were a few of teams talented enough to maybe make a run. He probably still only nets one along the way, but the team would have been in a lot of them and probably made the semis quite a few times too.

17. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Fulmer was always the master at looking back on a season and "we were one or two plays away..."

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pretty standard talk by underachieving coaches. might was well say "i suck in close games."

19. NorrisAlan

And then there was Lombardi: "We will never lose another championship game. I promise you that."

A Football Life was on NFL network and it was the one on Lombardi. I cannot turn that one off if it is on.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

agreed it's great even despite the interviews with his kids which are cringe worthy. I in particular liked the quote from the one player talking about how he'd walk through the locker room ask one player about his daughter, tell off another, and slap the back of another.