COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

To what degree? I know this would be very difficult to study because you'd have to know who has memory T-cell response prior to them being infected and then monitor viral load and virus shedding efficiency.

2. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You have to look at it logically, understanding the biology.

T cells kill cells. So the virus gets in, infects the cell, and puts up some marker that the T cell recognizes. T cell recognizes the marker, tags it, and starts the process of ramping up more T cells.

As the cells lyse, more virus is released to infect cells.

And now you have a race to see can the virus infect more cells faster than T cells can replicate to kill those specific cells.

There can be a period of time where the virus is shed while the immune system is ramping up to fight it, and this would be a pre symptomatic period.

The problem I have with the memory T cell issue is that older people should have had more exposure and opportunity to exposure to other coronaviruses, while younger people have had less, and the very young, none.

So logically one would expect older people to be less severe, and younger more, but that isn't the case.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So Moderna is getting orders for their vaccine, right?

5. fl0at_

A shit ton. $ 400 million from customer deposits last reported.

At their price of $32 per dose, that would be 12.5 million pre-orders. Essentially.

6. Ssmiff

To be used overseas first or are those US orders?
    Seems like everything has sped up

7. fl0at_

I think the US is in to 3 or 4 different vaccines, going with the whole "don't put all your eggs in one basket" approach.

And it may be possible that all of them are used, here.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

we need 20 times that amount just here in the US

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My understanding is that, in general, the immune system is not as efficient and loses its potency with the elderly. Can the memory T-cells forget?

10. fl0at_

Yea, but we're not talking about people who haven't been in the wild recently. The days of nursing homes only are long, long gone.

And that still wouldn't cover the very young, with no exposure, who aren't showing much of any thing symptom related.

11. fl0at_

I think we've bought up a couple hundred million doses of various vaccines, already. That'll get it to endemic. Then it'll be whoever is covered by insurance.

I honestly don't know who makes my flu vaccine, and doubt the same one does every year.

IP likes this.
  12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The local summary sent out daily.

[​IMG]

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my kids school put out a thing today where they are going to have them on a zoom much of the day. they are expected to have a desk and in uniform. a little strange imo, but i get why they are doing that. they already made the decision to start the year 100% virtual

16. Ssmiff

What area of north korea do you live?

droski likes this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha ha. catholic school, but yeah seems a tad silly.

18. fl0at_

How do you get a desk?

19. Ssmiff

get one from China for like $4

20. fl0at_

Yea, but won't get here til December. I ordered an OLED display for a project I'm working on yesterday and it won't get here til near October.