COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It's becoming honor code for some schools.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I love the idiots who compare Covid to driving or car accidents. Yes, it’s dangerous. Yes, you could die. But that’s also why:

You have to pass a test to drive
    You have certain licenses to operate certain machines
    We drive on the right side of the road
    We use traffic lights
    We register our vehicle(s)
    You can lose your license for being reckless
    You use a turn signal
    We yield
    We stop at stop signs
    Are required to insure or vehicles
    We have to obey all other rules of the road

If you want to be a part of a society, and move around in that society, you have to adhere to certain rules and regulations that work to help the society as a whole, stay safe.

Edit: And if you don’t, you lose the privilege afforded to you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  3. fl0at_

You keep saying this, but I don't think that stat is right. I think there are a few thousand total teenagers that die in a car accident every year. We've passed that number with COVID, I believe.

4. fl0at_

From the CDC

So, 365 days * 6 = 2,190 deaths in car accidents per year.

Who thinks there have been fewer than 2,190 16-19 year olds killed by COVID-19 in the last... 6 months? I don't, but I don't know the number.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the number of COVID deaths for that age band (16-19) may indeed be smaller. So far. The number exposed is currently going through the roof though, so the PestilenceVols are getting their proposed experiment run and we will find out if they are right.

6. fl0at_

Car accidents are the leading cause of accidental death for teenagers. Yay, it's possibly not as deadly as the deadliest accidental thing?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well the year isn't over and school is in. So car accidents better watch out. Plus people drove a lot less for a portion of this year, so the number of car crash deaths is likely lower than normal.

8. fl0at_

It's almost like people don't recognize that low death rates is a result of policies put in place.

"Well, see, we shouldn't have done all that, because deaths were low." Um, yea. It probably wasn't any of the "all that" that helped...

IP likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It blows my mind, man. As much as WHO now saying young people are predominantly spreading it now, after they spent months talking about young people not being very susceptible and ignoring that they are still a vector.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think its a lot less

11. fl0at_

Let's say that it is, and it probably is. CDC has switched their shit, and I can't find hard numbers. Last I saw was 125, but that was like 18-24 so... can't do much with that.

But let's say it is 100 times fewer. Logically, I believe, we could conclude that teenagers dying in car accidents would go down if they were all grounded, right?

But that is what has effectively happened the last few months--teenagers have been effectively isolated, for the most part. So, yea, if they aren't in contact with the thing that could kill them, they probably aren't going to die from it.

Is it 100 times fewer? Probably not. Is it 10 times fewer? Yea, I would think so. But I don't have data on it.

12. dknash

dknash Chieftain

How many of those teen COVID deaths were really just car crash deaths where the other driver had COVID? Probably all of them.

13. fl0at_

WHO has fallen in to the data trap. Where they only want to make statements based on data.

Well, if you remove all the cars in the world, we could say teenagers aren't dying from cars. But that is different from concluding that cars can't kill teenagers. They can, there just aren't any. That's the WHO's hangup. They are handicapping themselves to data, rather than just looking at this thing logically.

14. fl0at_

If the answer was one, would it still be funny?

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

All im saying is life has risks. With 2 young male drivers in my house, and 3 local kids dying in 1 car accidents on the past 2 weeks, while discussing with other parents and kids, we are all 100% more concerned with wrecks and mental state of kids, than covid. And its not close. When you have teen kids, you will understand better

16. fl0at_

Yea, life has risks. But its about mitigating those risks. Are your kid's cars good, safe, cars, or did you get them the most dangerous, fastest thing on the road? If you went with a safe car, why? It's risky either way.

That's what I'm getting at. Yes, there is risk. But we work to minimize risk, not maximize it.

I spent a good deal of months, as a teenager, stuck in some sandbox or another, with no socialization, no alcohol, and a few good risks to dodge every day. And so yea, maybe my mental state is a bit tweeked as a result. But I can't tell.

I think US teenagers can survive 6 months in the US.

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

It's pretty damn low for that age. I think it's low enough to try to make college and sports happen.

But hospitalizations are still a possibility, and I'm not positive campuses have the resources to handle massive spread.

18. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Only way we're having on campus college experience this semester.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Officially it is 242 15-24 year olds in the US.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is now the third leading cause of death in the US.