The Sunshine Pumping Josh Heupel Positives Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 27, 2021.

1. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

In full acknowledgement of the above post, here are my pre-coffee thoughts at this point....

Could the right booster(s) have spent the right money to get it done? Sure.
    Would the splash hire have been willing to do it anyway? Don't really know.

With the likelihood of sanctions coming down the pipe, with no proven/experienced QB under center, and with 10 years of total shitshow football, Mr Coach Splash Hire is probably thinking, "do i leave my cush p5 job for $8+ million at University of ShitShow, likely being unable to turn it around in 2 years, tarnishing my own reputation, only to be fired again as soon as the sanctions are being lifted?"
    ... I don't know... maybe it's something along those lines.

Obligatory Sunshine: As far as names go, maybe Heupel is about as good a name as our shitshow program can realistically get if one looks at it like "we need an interim coach with somewhat of a name better than Kevin Steele."

2. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I think you can spin the PR better with Steele as an interim than bringing in Mr. Wondernuts as a band-aid.

TangoUniform likes this.
  3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Nah. You can spin a head coach with a winning record and propensity to score points better than Steele as interim.

VOLinDAWGland and justingroves like this.
  4. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Hold the phone now. They didn't just fail to make a splash hire. Not making a splash hire is understandable given the circumstances. This shouldn't have been that hard. It's Tennessee. Hypothetically, let's say you erase all of the boosters from existence and give their wealth to one imaginary booster who would very much like to see Tennessee win. You make me, or any number of average people and install us as AD, and we can make a good hire. Again, it (theoretically) isn't that hard.

And I don't want to hear about sanctions. Not that big of a deal. Might keep you from getting, let's say, Matt Campbell. But Billy Napier or the like? GTFO.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Napier turned down Auburn and Auburn is in a much better position than UT.

6. HCKevinSteele

Napier turned down Auburn because the people courting him were not actually in charge, as evidenced by the fact that those people are not the AD, and the AD went and hired Harsin against the wishes of those people. But clearly Tennessee is in a similar boat, there is nobody in charge.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Congrats on the DC position. Now get some pressure and please coach our lbs up, if we have any left

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If I had told you before this search began that we were going to go out and steal the sitting head coach from a program with an undefeated, undisputed national championship on its resume in the last 5 years, you [uck fay]ers would have been pissing all over yourselves.

Yet, here you are complaining now that it actually happened.

Miserable pricks.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Napier is also sitting there knowing there’s a great chance the LSU job comes open in a year or 2

TangoUniform and lylsmorr like this.
  10. HCKevinSteele

I'm not an industry insider or anything, but I would say the coach of ULL turning down Auburn and Tennessee because he wants to wait on LSU is completely insane. I'm not saying LSU hasn't promised him the job, maybe that's possible. But Napier is insane if that's really his plan.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Probably. Why does any rising star risk coming to damage their star at UT right now? Probably some serious sanctions coming down the line for more than a year, just a mess of a football team, fan ire, etc.

TangoUniform likes this.
  12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'd call waiting on the best possible opportunity "smart".

justingroves likes this.
  13. HCKevinSteele

I'd call turning down top 15 jobs as if you, the coach of ULLL, are guaranteed a top 7-8 job is not "smart".

Edit: Obviously AU and UT are shitshows behind the scenes. But him riding his career on getting the LSU job is foolish. Wait too long and you have a bad year at ULL and there it all goes, have fun at Arkansas or West Virginia.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The point is, he knows he’s very likely going to have better opportunities, so why jump into a septic tank?

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Tennessee is a really bad job right now. We did not have to make this awful hire. Both these things can be true.

TangoUniform likes this.
  16. HCKevinSteele

So long as the money is available to you operationally that you can go toe to toe with the top of the SEC, I disagree with this. And I have no reason to believe that money is not available. Boosters being unwilling to pony up / not caring enough to do so is a separate argument. Tennessee is not a bad job. I understand the program is in a bad way, but hypothetically if you can hire Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, etc, with that level of coach you can compete for national championships inside of 4 years. That fact alone means it is not a really bad job. Boosters not doing what boosters are supposed to do is making it an unattractive opportunity.

reVOLt likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee didn't offer him. He's made it known he really likes Louisiana

lylsmorr likes this.
  18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But we just went on record saying we aren't going to pay players and if you do you are getting zero buyout. That puts us at a huge competitive disadvantage. Couple that with a rabid fanbase that wants badly to win. This job sucks right now.

TangoUniform likes this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is the guy good enough offensively that he can hire a strong DC, let him control the defense, and we can at least be decent?

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You're asking message board posters. None of us know for sure.