Tennessee man catches, releases massive paddlefish

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Mariasmith70050, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Mariasmith70050

Mariasmith70050 New Member

IP likes this.
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Good on him. There would have been a lot of people who would not have put that fish back in the water.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Can you eat one?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

You could, were they not protected. They are a species that normally would migrate up the rivers to spawn, but with hydroelectric dams most paddlefish here and in China are now threatened.

warhammer likes this.
  5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Can't say that I'd heard of them before. I definitely wouldn't have kept it, personally. It's neat looking, but I look at fishing similarly to hunting. If I'm not going to eat it and it's not threatening anything of mine, I'm not killing it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

With freshwater fish in particular, usually you don't want to eat a really big fish that has been accumulating toxins for decades. Trophy fish aren't eating fish.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Well no, I'm just saying trophy fish are a little silly in my eyes anyway. It's cool to see an abnormally large fish, but it's just a novelty outside of anything we can learn from them.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

and fish taxidermy doesn't require the fish!

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I first read this as fish taxonomy and was a tad confused.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I watched a documentary this weekend that told me commercial fishing is a bigger threat to the world/environment/human race than any of the standard things you'd think of in relation to climate change (cars and such).

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seaspiracy, I'd take that guy with a HUGE grain of salt. Everything he touched on was at least partially true, but his conclusions were clearly preconceived to his alleged journey of discovery. And the concept that the life of a shrimp or fish is equivalent to a life of a whale is counter to everything he said about the carbon cycle in the ocean.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, we finished it tonight, and I honestly couldn’t stand the dude by the end of it. How do you listen to a dude compare the life of a whale to the life of a chicken and not ask a single follow up question?

Felt like a Biden press conference (if Biden press conferences were a thing).