POLITICS Meet Communist Chy-Na

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What practically could any one random person living in the United States specifically do themselves about China's government pulling off a 21st century holocaust? At least with your parents dying you actually have a direct choice to either be there for them or neglect them. One can still "care" about a situation even though they are powerless to personally prevent something from taking place.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I read both as systems of belief that say we shouldn't criticize.

Don't criticize home we've got it too good. Don't criticize abroad, home isn't perfect.

It's just two sides of the same coin, to me.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

People could donate, advocate, any number of things that require effort, time, skin in the game. Movements happened in the past because something happened to make people care. Sending a single tweet and patting yourself on the back then forgetting about a situation for months isn't doing anything or caring. Which is OK. You can't care about everything, stop demonizing others who can't do the impossible either.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If I never do anything for my parents when they need my help I say it's obvious I don't care. But your argument is as long as I say I care with no action backing it up I'm good.

If you're not willing to put effort into something you words and thoughts are worthless. It's not evil to not be able to care about everything in the universe. It's human.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Never meant to convey in stating "we are spoiled" that one should not/cannot criticize home. Unlike so many humans both presently and throughout history, Americans having the ability to publicly vocalize critiques of our own government via the 1A is certainly a major factor in my arriving at a general sentiment of "we are spoiled". If you are a Chinese citizen or employee/investor of the NBA you don't even have the ability to criticize the agenda set by the CCP.

6. fl0at_

But what constitutes "effort?"

7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I don’t get this take at all. Sending a tweet is advocating. Whether I send one tweet or dedicate my entire life to this cause, the outcome is the same, nothing changes.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There's a whole universe between sending a tweet (aka doing nothing) and dedicating your life to a cause.

9. fl0at_

Many don't have that ability, and still do, even though they know that the consequences are more severe. So it comes off, to me, that because we don't have those stressors, we're making up others. Or picking weaker ones. They aren't weaker and they aren't made up. They are just the next evolution. Simply because big problems are solved doesn't mean smaller problems don't exist.

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Something that takes energy, something non-trivial.

11. fl0at_

What constitutes taking energy? Do I need to burn calories and sweat? What's non-trivial? Time is money to some. For others, time is the most important thing to them. Two very non-trivial things, to me.

12. HCKevinSteele

For me, an American who is not a senator, Global public company CEO, etc, a tweet or dedicating my whole life produces the same outcome. Point being, it’s hard for me to blame average Americans for not devoting more time to this cause. They know there’s nothing they can do that will help.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Which is perfectly fine. But they don't care, it doesn't matter if the reason is because they don't think they can do anything, they've already moved on to the next tick tock video. Chamath thought about the Uyghurs more in that clip than 99% of Americans have in the last year when we first learned about what was going on.

14. HCKevinSteele

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I think there are a lot of people that if given a magic wand to fix one problem might choose that one.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Idk. He virtue signaled about climate change in the same interview. He won’t virtue signal about China because he doesn’t want to alienate himself from any current or future cash flow. He’s essentially saying “I care more about money than I do about Uyghur Muslims.

I think a lot of people care about it.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You just learned about the Uyghurs in the last year ?

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think that most individual Americans (who know about the situation) would give up a lot to bring an end to China’s mistreatment of Uyghurs.

Like, if you told me I could free and protect all Uyghurs from Chinese oppression going forward by donating the next 10 years of my salary, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Wouldn’t even think twice about it. I would significantly inconvenience myself if it meant helping/saving that many people.

The problem is that no option like that exists for individuals like me. I could give up my next 50 year’s salary, and it wouldn’t make a difference. So then it’s just a waste.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If Americans had a single wish from a genie the china stuff wouldn't crack the top 10.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many Americans who care would still care if they knew Uyghurs were Muslims? And it wasn't communist China?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same point from another angle- is there any doubt that the world would care more if it were the US doing this to Uyghurs or a group like them? Especially the Islamic world?

There is hypocrisy on a global scale with every genocide.