Winter Olympics 2022

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

In a practical sense, yes. But you are breaking your oath by doing so. And this is identical to what China and other nations do. They do not have the ability to take away another nation's citizenship. Sovereign abilities do not extend to other nations. All I was ever referring to is exactly this: renouncing one's citizenship.

There are some countries where you do not have to do this. Canada, for example.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I respect Russia in that they don't even pretend to care about the rules.

justingroves likes this.
  3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

They are very competitive.

Russia and USA have race. USA wins. Russia news headline: "Russia come in Second; USA comes in Next to Last".

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

"Of the 22 players who dressed for China in its 8-0 loss to the U.S. at National Indoor Stadium on Thursday, 17 were either born or raised in the United States or Canada."

Lol, I guess that answers why they aren't playing for their actual country. Chelios's kid plays for China.

Also lol at this:
    "...The International Olympic Committee keeps its official records in the Chinese transcriptions of their names. (Jake) Chelios is “Kailiaosi Jieke,” (Jeremy) Smith “Jieruimi Shimisi...”

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ski jumpers started getting to use tracks to keep them steady since when?

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Curling that’s my sport

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I like the sledding sports. I am just not into snowboarding at all

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Tracks for jumpers. Staggered starts in snowboard races. Wth is going on here

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I can’t be the only one who feels like the Olympics has run its course. It used to feel big and now I just couldn’t care less about any of it. Winter and Summer.

AbeFroman and utvol0427 like this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I feel like they’ve turned it into another reality show. It’s the Bachelor/American Idol crowd that watches it now.

utvol0427 and InVolNerable like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just doesn't feel like a legitimate competition anymore, the way it is run. Look at the speed skating debacle with blatant cheating by the skater repping China, but it is the South Korean who finished first that got disqualified?!

AbeFroman and InVolNerable like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think is what you were getting at, @yont sum iss? but many of the recent host countries have just left a bad feeling. China twice (we all know the many reasons), Russia, Brazil and what that did to many of Brazil's poor... Is there not an ethical way to host these things in countries that allow access to the whole internet and don't steamroll the poor's housing?

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The Olympics is still a very big deal to people in a wide number of sports, probably the second most watched sporting event in the world, and I think having a gold medal is the most prestigious award one can receive. Saying "I won an Olympic gold medal" has quite the cache, especially individually. Perhaps the problem is the way we present the Games here in America as some American-centric drama show which was more applicable in the Cold War Games to a lot of Americans. If so, then this is an American problem because, world wide, the Olympics are a huge deal and among the most watched events.

I do think they might be wise to have a sort of rotation system, creating 4-5 sites to rotate and have prepared to run, so as not to run into the issues they did in Brazil and Sochi. Regardless, the Summer Olympics, especially, are still one of my 3-4 favorite sporting events and, as a track guy, they will always have a spot in my upper tier.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Rock pusher or a sweeper?

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yes, having it in the US, UK, France, or Germany every time, basically.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

But how will the IOC survive without all the bribes?

IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Your whole [uck fay]ing country cheats. We caught you cheating. But hey; you are only 15; go win that gold medal.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    CitrusCo.Vol likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've learned that USA, CNBC, etc actually show events and are ok to watch. It's the primetime NBC stuff that is unwatchable if you actually like sports and watching events.

TennTradition likes this.