POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I had always assumed Roe v Wade would stand because it takes a lot for a court to overturn a prior ruling. This is a disappointment if it comes to pass. Congress really needs to codify all of this into law.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It just takes activist judges.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’m not for it, but this is it.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Just saw a really interesting hypothesis on the whodunit.

The person was speculating that it was an Alito clerk who was attempting to circumvent threats from Roberts to vote in favor of Dobbs, which would then allow him to dictate the staff who would actually write a resulting watered down 6-3 opinion vs the current version from Alito.

gcbvol likes this.
  5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Who knows? I'm way out of my depth on the working of SCOTUS.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This makes a lot of sense. The draft is from February, if a liberal clerk were leaking it, why wait 2 months? No, you leak it now because a more moderate or narrow draft was being circulated and you wanted to force the earlier version by making it look like any later versions were concessions.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, I remember when this was crazy talk hyperbole too.

Now, anyone want to revisit my comments on Trump getting back into the big chair no matter what?

9. Unimane

Talking with my friend, he noted how the court still has the votes from people who voted to expand Obergefell in the Bostock ruling two years ago. So, while I appreciate the precedence this decision may be making, this court hasn't shown the intention of abrogating gay rights outside of the three stalwarts on the right.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lol, okay Susan collins.

11. gcbvol

It's definitely coming. Only question is will it succeed. If the Roe draft basically holds and becomes the final decision it certainly sets precedent to do so.

12. Unimane

Hey now.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

From the other side of the aisle, for anyone who cares, Ben Shapiro sounds convinced it leaked from someone on the left side of the court. He was also adamant that the clerk who leaked it should be prosecuted and if it can be traced back directly to a Justice being involved with the leak itself, that Justice should be impeached.

Will be curious to see if he changes his tune if it comes out that a conservative Justice was responsible, as TT suggested could be the case above.

Conspiracy Theory if that was to be the case - someone framed a conservative justice to get him/her impeached so that Biden could balance the court again (no idea if that's how the process works).

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Prosecuted for what law being broken?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. gcbvol

Exactly. This is an issue of ethics. And ethics, unfortunately, are no longer very meaningful in this country.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I have actually seen a few people point out that birth control could be next, and I can believe that.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not sure. He said something about confidentiality, though I don't remember if it was anything specific. Might have just been a generalized comment about how he suspects these people are bound by some form of confidentiality. I'm only halfway paying attention as I work.

It does make sense that there would be some form of legally binding confidentiality agreement, though. His whole message has been that a left leaning individual likely leaked it to generate the outrage we are seeing, which pressures the Justices. Obviously we don't want SCOTUS Justices being pressured to make certain decisions in these sorts of cases.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't understand this. If the baby/fetus is dead (miscarriage), how can this still be considered an abortion? I am honestly confused about that.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are aborting a pregnancy. Removing a fetus. This has always been a major component of what makes up abortion. Same with ectopic pregnancies, which i guess are death sentences soon.