Tipping in the US

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Jun 5, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2 to 5 bucks per night with a note making it clear that it is intended as tip (.e.g. "tip" or "thanks")

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Of course you are.

On a serious note, I never have cash on me either. And in the one or two times a year that I do, it tends to go to the squeegee kids here in Baltimore.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Christmas gift in cash/gift certificate. Self checkout, but otherwise no. No.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why not? Narrow view of the world?

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's the range I am in.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why not which?

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Seriously?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You said no to two of them. What do you think I’m asking about?

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep. I usually leave a note that says "thanks" with the cash. If they have cards with the name of the person cleaning, I will include their name.

If I'm at a place multiple nights, the 1st day I might leave $5 and tell them to leave me extra packet(s) of regular coffee for my stay.
    "Most" people like to feel they are doing something special for you when you acknowledge what they do, no matter how menial.

I have my room serviced every day I stay.

IP likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So the two no's. I don't tip grocery cashiers because there is no personal service involved in ringing up what I am buying. I bag and carry myself. I don't tip mechanics because they already make a high per hour rate 25 bucks an hour around here. The change itself takes them perhaps 15 minutes of labor and is mechanical in nature rather than personal service. If someone cleaned/detailed my car, I WOULD tip. Because they are then interacting with my personal nastiness and also have a low hourly wage.

I'd rather we had a system where people were all paid livable wages, but we don't.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why are you so mad?

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It feels like I’m talking to some random 11 year old on Xbox.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't tip your mom.

InVolNerable, SetVol13 and utvol0427 like this.
  14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't tip anyone, I just leave those pamphlets with bible verses. You don't need money when you got Jesus.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Of course you tip. When you showed up, was the room destroyed, or was it cleaned? It was cleaned. They do the service for you, before you arrive, and after someone else has left.

You tip on leaving. Every time.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why is a clean room not an understood part of the roughly $150-$350 I’m spending per night to stay at the hotel?

Your description suggests I should be tipping the person who cleans my room before I arrive. Is that what you do? The person who cleans your room after you leave is almost assuredly not the same person who cleans the room before you arrive.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why do you consider someone putting what you buy in a bag a “personal service,” but a person ringing up those same groceries is not?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Have you seen the ones that are made to look like money but then actually have a verse and talk about storing treasure in heaven?

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah, those are next level shitty, even for bible thumpers.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wouldn't tip for bagging alone, but bagging and carrying.

Bagging can get into the realm if I have bought a ton of things that require care when putting in with one another, and then they carry it out for me. We are now outside the store and they are putting stuff in my vehicle.

I have never had someone carry my groceries for me.