Carolina Jr Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 1, 2023.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I don't understand the aversion to the tradeoff of aggressive attacking D and risk of giving up a big play versus enduring a 6+ minute grind. The long drive is far more demoralizing and disruptive to the offense then a quick strike. Plus most D1 teams have a good enough QB that if you let him get comfortable and find a groove can carve up most defenses.

Memtownvol, NorrisAlan and TDVol1989 like this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Small is short and hard to bring down, Wright the fastest in a footrace and Sampson has the wiggle

ole_orange likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

100%. The other way is the nfl way and what Banks seemed to base his thought process from. It’s not that way in college. Force the issue and if you get beat you get beat. Long drives the main reason we were all out of whack at UF and we played the opposite as we did last night versus a more dangerous qb.
    It’s good to see an adjustment I wasn’t expecting. Heup is an O guy so he knows what long drives do to an offense. Let’s hope we continue in the big settings.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Banks sat back in zone last year against USCe just like UF this year. He went after Bryce Young last year against Alabama, he houdini-ed his way out of pressure.

NorrisAlan and Ssmiff like this.
  5. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I wonder if playing on the road has something to do with him playing zone. Maybe he wants to limit the big plays to keep the crowd out of the game. Not saying it’s a good idea, but maybe that’s the line of thinking.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he’s a mediocre dc with a terrible cb coach that tries to reinvent the wheel every once in awhile and bites him on the ass. I think Martinez has a lot to do with it, lending his "experience" as a dc

Create an identity and stick with it, right now it's you can't run at us and speed rushers off the edge, not soft zone and passively tackling

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you stick your dbs in man, they aren't thinking, they're just playing

NYY, Memtownvol, InVolNerable and 3 others like this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is important. When we are in a zone guys have assignments and this group has proven they are not smart enough to understand those assignments. Put them in man and they only have one job. It's basically the way we should play every down the rest of the season. Imo

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Just takes any instinct away when you have guys worried about who has what zone and just stare at the qb. You end up with 3-4 defenders guarding grass with no players near them. Man up, take 2 of those to give help, send one.
    Even when you watch Ga play zone, their dbs and lbs immediately spot a wr and go get him. It’s like a basketball team who’s great at man playing zone most of the game instead.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They also rarely run a true zone so when they decide to it's not good

zehr27 likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The funny thing is that the pick 6 only happened because Rattler overthrew his man and Hadden was giving the old 5 yard cushion so he saw it was high and ran wide.

InVolNerable and VolDad like this.
  12. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I wish Hadden had counted to 6 on his fingers when he got into the end zone to mock what Rattler did last year.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Busting out Deion's dance right in front of Boo Carter, who visited Colorado last week, was pretty good

14. VOLinDAWGland

So why, when there's tangible evidence one way is more effective than the other, does he fall into a passive strategy? Someone, ahem, Heupel, needs to kick his ass out of that strategy when sees it happening in the planning sessions or game day.

15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

The way I see it is that there are DCs who find value in not letting the QB step into his throws and there are those who don't stay employed.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How were we not prepared for the fake punt.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many of us literally called it in the chat.

18. VOLinDAWGland

Yes it was freaky. The chat was literally unfolding on the field.

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think we were prepared. What we didn't expect was for them to get away with a flagrant PI that got their man wide open.

Volsdude and justingroves like this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was offensive pass interference, they set a hell of a pick