Kentucky Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Small is a career 5 ypc back and never fumbles. Also, If we don’t use him some, does Sampson have the same legs in the 4th with 10 more touches early and 20 more blocking plays or running routes? Think it has to be considered. Our rbs get gassed almost every drive.
    I like his role and he deadlegs a defender every game. Makes me go “ooh”

Volgrad98 and utvol0427 like this.
  2. Ssmiff

perfect mix when we can get off the field on defense and more possessions for them on the field.

zehr27 likes this.
  3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It's pretty clear they don't trust him to pass much in the red zone. They are trying to get the most out of him in the safest way.

justingroves, Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Even later in the second half. We got away from counting the box and just went power run.

Memtownvol and gcbvol like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Love to see rbs catching more balls and need more of it. 6 looked just like OG6 on that 3rd down play

gcbvol likes this.
  6. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Just to be clear, I'm not saying bench Small. I think what I heard during the game is that it's like a 40/40/20 split with carries for our RBs with Sampson getting the 20. I think Sampson should move up to the 40 and Small to the 20. JMO. I like all 3 backs.

Ssmiff likes this.
  7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

You’ve really gotta tip your hat to Alabama and Kentucky.

200+ combined snaps, physically competitive and flawlessly without a single penalty.

Extraordinary discipline and textbook execution. Congrats to all players and coaches. Incredible.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t know how he was at UCF but short yardage is something we’re going to have to greatly improve on going forward.

The last two years it’s costed us that we’re not good at it.

Memtownvol likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

I also think rbs are happy to share the load and not take all the hits. Wright wants NFL. He’s made his case, and with much less wear on his body. Hopefully Sampson knows his touches will double next year if that’s what he’s after.

10. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Not to mention Uk was bottom 2 in the league in the SEC in penalties coming in. Wow they just figured that out completely in one game. Crazy.

Memtownvol likes this.
  11. gcbvol

Spend time with the Eagles.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The realistic disaster scenario is off the table. We could still lose to UConn or Vandy and it would be a disaster, but it’s just hard to see it happening. This team has enough flaws to screw around into 6-6, and now it’s looking like 8-4, maybe 9-3 if things break right. Not a great season, but with all we’ve lost, we can live with it

VOLinDAWGland and warhammer like this.
  13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Going for 4th and 1 is usually the right play but it seems to have ruined a lot of afternoons for the aggressors this month. Stoops did it today and Heupel bowed out. Ordinarily, I want my guy to be the one going for it. But nobody can get a yard anymore apparently. Even if you got 400 the rest of the game

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

We beat Alabama last year.

reVOLt and justingroves like this.
  15. gcbvol

Even with all the challenges, I've felt good about our chances against UGA this year. Just a feeling. Probably gas.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Huh.

This is an interesting take.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I’ll gladly take 9-3. I predicted 8-4 initially. Figured Milton would be better but defense has made up for it.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be completely blown away if we won, especially if Bowers is still out. That will be, by far, the most hostile environment Beck has played in. Get him rattled without his safety blanket and who knows.

19. gcbvol

Yeah, will definitely take our very best effort. But I feel better about that game than Mizzou. That one is a sure loss, imo. Especially after the last couple.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Can we read anything into his silence to the question asked at 4:15. it is similar to when he wanted to bash the refs but didn't....

gcbvol, Memtownvol and 10SEvols like this.