23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nah, that's acceptable.

They appear to be focused again.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't be a thief of joy, it can all be over at any time.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Oh I was plenty joyful, just all the “in your face Sister Jean” that seems a bit extreme. But this is partially me being too superstitious about trash talk.

4. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

[uck fay] Kentucky

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hey sista Jean, what did 5 fingas say to the face?
    “Sllllaaappp!”

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

SEC 1-3 so far is interesting.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Outside of Kentucky I’m not really surprised

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Oregon was favored. I think Sparty might’ve been as well.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I didn’t know that, but I did watch those teams a bunch, SC and Miss St, I mean

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Never upset to see SEC teams lose, of course. But I do wonder if the conference was possibly not as good as I've been thinking it was.

11. Ssmiff

maybe but it’s about matchups too and Ms st ran into a team just as big and strong and experienced coach getting them ready. I had Oregon over SC because I felt they were better. SC’s pace wouldn’t affect them and Oregon wouldn’t allow iso to back them down in the paint.

IP likes this.
  12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Michigan State was preseason top 5. No shame losing to a team that stacked, and it was an 8 v 9 game. Oregon was favored to beat South Carolina, so that really shouldn’t be a surprise. And Kentucky did what Kentucky has been doing the past four years. Hard to gauge the strength of a conference based on those results.

IP likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

SC over achieved both in terms of the players/talent and also in expected results from their statistics. Them losing is not indicative of anything beyond them being an outlier all year. Not knocking them, just saying they were right at their ceiling, couldn't stay there forever.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

True. SC overachieved all year, and Mississippi State hit a tough match up. UK was the obvious unexpected loss, but one of those isn't too big of a deal.

If 2 of Auburn, Bama, and Florida lose today, that might start to say something about the SEC, I suppose.

IP likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

Bama is a lot like Kentucky, they have a fatal flaw that will get them sooner rather than later

Tar Volon and IP like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Creighton has the same flaw, btw

Tar Volon likes this.
  17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Defense-itis

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

They were also top 10 in KenPom for the majority of the season, if I remember correctly. No excuse to be losing a first round matchup, same as Kentucky. If they do, it's some combo of "a bad game at the wrong time" and "they just weren't as good as we thought they were."

Edit: Could also add "random future Enterprise district manager goes off from deep" to the potential combo.

IP likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Saw these buzzards in the grass tearing up an armadillo and immediately thought about Calipari and Ky fans

Attached Files:

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stay away from em, leprosy has been rising lately.