How do you see us against the Ducks now?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Sep 7, 2013.

1. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

You think we can block well enough to get some first downs?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Lance Thompson said one time at a coach's clinic that Monte had a 10am conference call with Pete Carroll every day that summer going over how to defend Florida. Don't know the truth of that statement, but it was said.

3. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

So given the talent gap between these two teams, do you have anything more specific that you want to see other than "not playing to lose embarrassingly"?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

For a little while, yeah. There has to be some threat of a passing game though

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I think we can all agree that if we see Worley's lack of passing ability then Oregon's DC does too. I expect to see screens, slants, and the occasional down field attempt simply to offset them putting 8 guys in the box.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I would expect that from Dools but Jones doesn't strike me as that type of coach.

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

My dilemma is figuring out what it looks like if we are going balls to the wall. We obviously can't beat them at their own game.

Part of me thinks our first half of offense against Western KY was a "test" to see if Worley was able to stretch the field with his arm. I expected our passing game to look much more like it did in the second half with the short timing routes. We have yet to see many WR screens.

I may be just as satisfied with fewer rushes if it looks like we have a good short passing game plan.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oregon's rush d isn't great, but teams are usually playing catch up so it doesn't matter. If you're patient and your d makes a few stops, you can win. It's slowing down that maserati offense is what's next to impossible

9. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

The effectiveness of their ability to isolate is frightening. I wouldn't mind seeing AJ with his hand in the ground on every defensive snap he takes.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They certainly have some future nfl players on the dline.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And they get after a qb. They aren't expected to stop the run though because teams can't afford to do it. Four minutes into the game and you're already down two scores, teams start pressing and they sit back and make plays

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Oregon's d is a lot like the Colts during the Manning era.

13. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Oregon had 22 minutes of possession against UVa but manged 59 points. Eliminating the big plays is the key.

14. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

I think they will put them out there if we are getting our ass kicked. They need big game experience and pressure.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's exactly how Stanford beat them last year.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One turnover or one punt can wreck Oregon's offensive tempo. It just rarely happens because they run it perfectly.

17. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Play to win - whatever that looks like, whomever that requires, whatever that entails.

Talent be damned. I'll allow that to be a blanket excuse when someone shows me in his contract that we're only to expect him to win games when he has equitable talent, or more. Or, that our roster, last seaon's game film, or this year's schedule were somehow hidden from him until after he took the job.

Play like I expect Tennessee to play - unafraid and to win.

Do I think he has the horses to do it? Hell no.
    Is that his fault? Again, hell no.
    The cavernous differences in talent being duly noted - can he determine how hard and smart to make his horses run, and if they play scared or not? Damned right he can - and better.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So............if unafraid and to win means playing a conservative game?

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't care if they come out in the Wing-T. Or the pistol.

Don't care if they run the clock. Don't care if they go hurry up.

But I see your point.