How do you see us against the Ducks now?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Oldvol75, Sep 7, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kiffin did the same thing against UF in 2009

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

UT needs to run the college basketball version of the four corners. Run plays that net 4 yards and melt the game clock.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Well, bUTch and staff feel that at this point Worley gives them the best chance to win so problems at QB aren't that hard to imagine. My thing is this, I've seen Worley and a little bit of Peterman. Worley is not the answer and he beat Peterman out during the summer (with a fresh coaching staff evaluation). To me, that means Peterman is worse than Worley and the little I've seen of him would suggest as much. I haven't seen the two freshman play yet and I don't hold the opinion that since they didn't win the job during the summer they aren't any better. I chalk that up to them simply being true freshman more than anything else. I'll reserve judgment on them until I get an opportunity to see them play.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I tried to convey this in my last past (poorly) but the freshman not beating out Worley doesn't necessarily mean they're worse. It may simply be a matter of them not being phyically or mentally ready yet. Then again, they could suck. Do we really know at this point? Is it fair to assume they're not as good?

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think assumptions of any kind are without merit. That is what I am trying to get across.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree. At this point I don't think anyone other than the coaching staff knows and speculating is to do just that.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here's the intricately conceived algorithm I am working off of:

Worley cannot hit a receiver who is standing still, and having no defender within 5-7 yards.

Can Peterman, Dobbs or Ferguson his a WR who is standing still, and who has no defender closer than 5-7 yards?

If YES? They are better than Worley, right now.

If NO? We have much bigger problems at QB than anyone is willing to admit.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think with the O-Line being what it is (excellent pass protectors) that throwing the youngsters into the fire cannot but improve them.

9. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

I foresee a fisting ahead in our future. Lol

10. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

I think we may see a freshmen qb play Saturday.

11. Tenacious D

I agree, Tru. I agree.

You're going to see Pig, too. Maybe not 15 snaps, but more than a handful.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Crossing my fingers you're right. Otherwise, your 70+ will be a reality.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Disagree.

Coaches know our best (really long) shot in this game is to pull a Kiffin against Bama and Florida in 09. Play it as close to the chest as possible. Do not turn it over. They are not going to put a true freshman out there for his first snaps against Oregon on the road.

This may end up being a vintage Fulmer game. Run, run, run and bend but don't break D.

14. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He may not start. But he may get some playing time. Probably not, but one can hope.

15. CardinalVol

The only caveat I could possibly see to this is if they employ the football version of pressing a basketball team that presses all the time using the common thought of they typically don't do well against it because it throws them off.

That said, I'm not sure I want to get in a high octane affair against them, at all.

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Eat the clock

17. CardinalVol

I still don't think we see a freshman before South Alabama at absolute earliest.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want Lane to get twenty five carries with Neal getting twenty or so.

I want North to take a few speed sweeps too. Give me pig in the wildcat twenty times

19. Tenacious D

This is the first true test (for me) as to whether we might, in some remote sense, have hired the guy who can turn it around.

It won't make or break him in my mind - but if he goes up there and plays balls to the wall to do everything he can to win, even in a lopsided loss, he'll earn my praise and some legit respect.

If he goes up there just to play it safe in hopes of keeping it from being an embarrassing loss, he's just going to be so much talk, at least for a long while, IMO.

You don't rise to the top by laying down. Ever.

20. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

If I had to pick Kiffin's best attribute it was game planning for big games. I always got the feeling they spent all of their time game planning for GA, SC, Fla and Bama. The flip side was the poor prep for UCLA and Mississippi. I think some of that is biting him in the ass now. I am also beginning to wonder how much Monte helped him with his offensive game planning.