Finally got a new computer

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Dec 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

got a Mac Book Pro, still figuring out how to use this thing! Any hints out there????

2. volinbham

volinbham Member

congrats - what are you trying to do?

3. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

You've turned it on and found the 8th. The rest will take care of itself.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Find a coffee shop or Panera and act like you're importantly typing away when really you're just on Facebook. Wear black horn-rimmed glasses and sip coffee judiciously. Complain about the Republican Party. Look down on PC users. Repeat ad infinitum.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

[​IMG]

6. Oldvol75

Living in the country, all I could complain to would be cattle! They don't make good listeners.

7. Oldvol75

It was my wife's idea to get it. I think she was tired of getting viruses. I really want to know how you cut and paste with it.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

You should be able to do it pretty much the same way as on a PC.

First, you will need to highlight what you want to cut. I find this easiest to do by first positioning the cursor at the point where I want to begin highlighting. While using a finger on one hand to push down on the touchpad, take a finger on the other hand and swipe over the touchpad, you will see the text being highlighted. This is essentially equivalent to clicking with you left mouse button (single finger pushing down on the touchpad) and then moving your mouse left or right to highlight (that is the function of the finger swiping with the other hand). You can technically swipe left or right with the first finger you pushed down with and this will highlight as well - but it isn't as easy IMO.

Now that you have text highlighted, you have a few approaches:

1) Use the mac version of a double click. To do this, position the cursor over the highlighted text. Now, with two fingers (of course, can be on one hand or one from each - I find using my index and middle finger on one hand to be easiest), tap on the touchpad (don't push down and hold, just tap). This will bring up a menu just like right-clicking on a PC. Now, you will see cut as an option on the menu. Just swipe over to it and do a one-finger tap on the touchpad (just like left-clicking on a PC).

2) Alternatively, after you highlight the text, you can just use the touchpad to navigate the cursor up to the menu bar at the very top of the screen. Mac computers use an adaptive menu at the top of the screen, which is different than what you are used to with a PC. Notice that as you bring up different active windows (such as Safari, or Pages, or Mail), the options on the menu at the top will change. The one thing that is constant regardless of window open is the apple icon. However, to its right, you will see the name of the active program. And, then the menu options to the right of that. You will usually see an Edit menu on this list. Just go to it with the cursor, do a one finger tap on the touchpad (like left-clicking with a mouse), and you will see the menu drop down. Go down to cut and do another one-finger tap.

Pasting is pretty straightforward after you learn how to cut. Just place the cursor where you want to paste and do the same procedure as above, but choose paste this time instead of cut.

9. Oldvol75

Thanks TT, I've never used the Mac before, have always used a PC. It will take some time but I'll get use to it.