Know of Any Good Great Dane Rescues?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by BearCat204, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Recently a stray Great Dane wondered into our front yard and appeared to be starved and looked like he had been on his own for some time. My wife is a sucker for stray dogs, so he has ended up in our back yard and ultimitely has taken his place on my side of the bed. We already have two golden's and a third dog really isnt something that I would like to take on full time. With that said, we have been trying to locate a Great Dane (no kill) rescue/shelter that we could put him in with the confidence that he will be found a great home. He is house broken and has an excellent demeanor and I would prefer to keep him over our other two dogs, but that isnt happening. So if anyone knows of any good rescues especially those specifically for Great Dane's, please point me in the right direction. He looks to be full blood Dane, but its pretty much impossible to know for sure since we dont know his history. Any help would be appreciated and my wife and I would be willing to take him pretty much anywhere with distance to said shelter not being a factor.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

BC, I'm not sure where you live but one of the best Great Dane rescues around is in Knoxville. They used to set up with regularity at the Turkey Creek Petsmart. Here is the think. The people that run it seem to be good folks.

Smoky Mountain Great Dane Rescue

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Thanks for the link. We actually like outside of Huntsville Alabama but have a home also in Gatlinburg, so that would work out the best for us. I will give them a ring today.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I would keep it. Great Dane's are awesome and are great watch dogs.

5. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

We would keep him too, but we have two other dogs already and they are large breeds. If I allow him to stay, my wife will just find another one later on and want him to stay as well, I have to draw a line somewhere. I dont want to end up on that show Horders.

6. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

dog hoarders. lol

7. fun2bow

fun2bow New Member

I think the 8th members should vote on this. My vote is keep him!!!!

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had a Great Dane/Bull Mastiff mix growing up. Best dog ever

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I bet that dog was huge.

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Ninth out other dogs are rescues, so it's that's not why we can't keep him FTR. I have found that rescues generally make better pets......like they appreciate things more.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ridiculously big. He was real close to 4 foot tall at the shoulder.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Both of my dogs are rescues. That's the way to go

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Nothing worse than an unappreciative [itch bay].