Steele

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Beechervol, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

3 amigos is calling Steele and Brooks.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think it's worth pointing out Clemson gave up a lot of points early in games and typically had to comeback this year too. Not like they raced out to a big lead and then played prevent defense or had an inordinate amount of defensive possessions.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And Basilio had Shannon. Guess that knocks down our two top candidates

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Although Steele's results on the field are average, he kills it recruiting. If it is Steele, that may be what pushes him to the top. We need a guy to fill the chasm Sirmon left on the recruiting trail.

I am not very familiar with Shannon's recruiting.

5. Beechervol

I think if Shannon was the top target and was ready to pull the trigger we would have heard that by now. The longer it goes I think Steele is the top choice.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Steele will get enough talent around to look like a good coach. He's a decent dc but, as you said, an unbelievable recruiter.

Shannon can probably own south Florida recruiting wise. I think he's a fantastic defensive mind

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It never hurts to have a pipeline in S FL. As I understand the situation Steele has a recruiting edge whlie Shannon is a better scheme guy. If these are our choices, it comes down to what type of guy Dooley likes: an Xs & Os guy or a Jimmys & Joes guy. I'm a greedy bastard. I want both.

Unfortunately like I said in another thread, my faith level in Dooley is as close to zero as one can get. Dooley naming Terry Joseph as DC wouldn't surprise me in the least. That's freaking sad.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Are there any differences in the defenses each of these guys prefer? Are we better suited to one over another with current personnel? Dooley needs to win...now...and he of course knows it.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Shannon likes the Tampa two look. He trades size for speed. You play mostly zone with limited blitzing. If your front 4 can't apply pressure, you're in trouble.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Well, that settles it. Dooley isn't hiring Shannon.

11. WM

WM Active Member

It's fascinating to read some of this stuff tonight.. Like an unstable relationship, you need more conflict and drama.
    You have a Vol board who has pushed all of their reputation chips to the middle of the table on Shannon, have a few other "gurus" who are swearing up and down it's going to be Steele. People who have seen so and so person having lunch with Dooley. Even those who have said no one has even been contacted yet. My head hurts.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't understand Steele coming here now. After, he already told Dooley no before, and Dooley was on better ground at that time then now.

Shannon either wants a chance to take over for Dooley, or is playing us to get a better deal at another school.

13. WM

WM Active Member

It sure does feel like a Spangler finish for us.

14. tennesseevolman

tennesseevolman New Member

bingo!

15. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Well, OCI has been clamouring that Steele is the guy, so I would say there is 0% chance Steele becomes our next DC

16. Beechervol

I think its gonna be Shannon.

17. golfballs03

golfballs03 New Member

I hope it's Shannon

18. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Would be better than Steele

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

According to Hubbs, the difference now would be Dave Hart since they worked together at FSU.

20. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

How reliable is this Huffington Post site? They claim it's Steele and he just needs to tell his players...

LINK