Official National Signing Day Bunker

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Feb 1, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Sure, you point about the Giants being one of the top four teams in the NFL across the expanse of the season is utter idiocy. They've played well for about four weeks. If you want to use them as an example of excellence, that means you are placing huge weight on the playoffs. That would mean the Saints and Packers, who you held up as beacons of light, are shit. Not hard to follow at all, unless your agenda is to pretend Tennessee can win in the SEC with no running game.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No one's talking about their rushing numbers. The point is their offensive philosophy was pass to set up the run and they won huge. No amount of bullshit spin changes that.

3. hatvol96

Great, insightful point. I was just thinking how I should be rejoicing that we're assembling a roster that will drill anyone in a [uck fay]ing beach football game. Happy days are here again. We're Purdue South. Liberty Bowl, here we come. Thanks for showing me the light.

4. hatvol96

How many times did Florida throw the ball in the first drive of the '96 game against Tennessee? How much did they air it out in beating Alabama in the '93 SEC Title game? How much of their damage was run versus pass in the '91 game down there? Spurrier always attacked a defense's weaknesses.

5. hatvol96

Negative balderdash. UT will put up John Jenkins Era Houston numbers this year on everyone, including Alabama. They won't even have to call a running play until sometime in October, and that will be simply to break up the monotony of throwing for scores.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

So, you're now to the point of pretending Spurrier wasn't a pass first guy at Florida. Interesting.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee couldn't run last year. You had Bray and Hunter putting up video game stats and they still couldn't even begin to make the run game a threat.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Also, definitely a great point about the '96 game. Wuerffel only managed 6 touchdown passes and was put on the cover of SI after that game. Clearly, that was because of the effectiveness of their rushing attack against us.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think I'm disputing that.

10. hatvol96

How did Wurffel throw six touchdowns in a game where Florida only scored 35 points? Might want to know your history before you try to act smart.

11. SaintBruce

SaintBruce New Member

I think the point is Spurrier's teams were capable of running the ball when needed. If Tennessee isn't able to do the same (they won't be able to) expect 6 or 7 wins.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

My mistake. Confused with the '95 game. Point remains the same, however.

13. hatvol96

Who cares? It's bombs away time. The running game is for idiots like Saban and Miles who only worry about crap like championships. It's Showtime. Mouse Davis. Jack Pardee. John Jenkins. June Jones. Jim Chaney. Bray gonna throw for 6K.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And, I completely agree with that. Hat was first pretending a pass first team can't win. I think that's garbage. I have said multiple times in this thread that even if you are a pass first team, you have to be able to run in short yardage situations. So, I agree with that. I don't believe you basically have to go Bama's playbook to win.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And, exactly no one is arguing anything even remotely close to this.

16. SaintBruce

SaintBruce New Member

I think everyone is basically in agreement. Pass first - yes, that will work. Pass only - Hell no. Spurriers offense was the former.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Well, apparently we're not, SB. Hat seems to not buy that because to him there are apparently two options: 1) Bama's Playbook or 2) June Jones Air Raid. There can't possibly be a philosophy in between where you simply pass first to set up the run.

18. hatvol96

Tennessee's current offensive coordinator's CV indicates he's more than remotely close to that line of thinking.

19. SaintBruce

SaintBruce New Member

I think he's just pointing out we are going to be running an Air Raid which I agree with. It will be effective but it wont get us any further than the ChikFilA Bowl. People were insinuating that Spurrier won with something similar which isn't the case at all.

Off-Topic: UTVOL02 lost his ban bet with 99gator (Insert kermit.gif)

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

We're not going to be running anything close to a [uck fay]ing air raid or gimmick system. We'll be a pass first pro style offense. The key to the season will be how they can convert short yardage situations on the ground. We don't have to resort to an all out ground and pound attack to win.