Mandela Effect

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Jun 2, 2016.

1. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Alright, I may be crazy. Probably am. But I am honestly beginning to believe in some of this nonsense about the Mandela Effect. I don't understand why or how this would happen but I would rather think this is happening somehow than me completely and utterly losing my mind. So, if you all would humor me and look at my list below. Copy and paste and fill in the blanks. Or just use the numbered list and tell me the missing word. Don't look up what it should be just tell me what you remember the word being:

1. Forest Gump - Life ____ like a box of chocolates.
    2. Snow White - ______ Mirror on the Wall.
    3. Children's book - The Beren_____ Bears
    4. Field of Dreams - If you build it ______ will come
    5. Star Wars - _____ I am your father
    6. Book/Movie - Interview with _____ Vampire
    7. Mr. Roger's Theme Song: It's a beautiful day in _____ neighborhood.
    8. Adult diapers - Dep____
    9. Movie Jaws - _____gonna need a bigger boat
    10. Thanksgiving falls on the ____ Thursday of each November

ACTUAL ANSWERS BELOW: Don't look at this until you do your 10.

1. Forest Gump - Life WAS like a box of chocolates.
    2. Snow White - MAGIC Mirror on the Wall.
    3. Children's book - The BerenSTAIN Bears
    4. Field of Dreams - If you build it HE will come
    5. Star Wars - NO I am your father
    6. Book/Movie - Interview with THE Vampire
    7. Mr. Roger's Theme Song: It's a beautiful day in THIS neighborhood.
    8. Adult diapers - DepEND
    9. Movie Jaws - YOU'RE gonna need a bigger boat
    10. Thanksgiving falls on the 4TH Thursday of each November

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

1. Forest Gump - Life __is__ like a box of chocolates.
    2. Snow White - _Mirror_____ Mirror on the Wall.
    3. Children's book - The Beren_stain____ Bears
    4. Field of Dreams - If you build it __they____ will come
    5. Star Wars - ___No__ I am your father
    6. Book/Movie - Interview with _a____ Vampire
    7. Mr. Roger's Theme Song: It's a beautiful day in ___the__ neighborhood.
    8. Adult diapers - Dep_ends___
    9. Movie Jaws - __We're___gonna need a bigger boat
    10. Thanksgiving falls on the __3rd__ Thursday of each November

I will say #10 is the only one that I struggled with, as it might be the 4th.

EDIT: And #4 may be "he".

Only ended up getting 2 right, but would have had four if I had gone with my second guess, but horseshoes and hand-grenades.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The Berenstein Bears one is just weird.

4. NorrisAlan

For the life of me, I swore up and down it was Berenstein. THen a year ago I saw the article on the Berenstain bears and the conspiracy theory that someone had changed all the books in the world to Berenstain.

5. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I put the actual answers in my list. I was/am floored at some of those actual answers. I'm dead serious when I say I either feel like I'm losing my mind or these things have somehow changed. And I looked at a world map recently and was dumbfounded. I have a freaking degree in education and taught a couple of semesters of Geography. South America is not where I remember it. Now being waaaaaay too far East. And New Zealand has magically moved also from my memories. And exactly when in the blue hell did the Antarctic Ocean become the Southern Ocean?

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.

7. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

See that is one that I can almost pass off. It doesn't make sense but I can see with how it's said that it can also sound like Nobody does it like Sarah Lee.

What about the bologna? Oscar Meyer or Oscar Mayer? I always thought it was Oscar Meyer. Apparently I was wrong.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Only ones I got right were #2 and #10

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Meh. Some people misremember quotes, perpetuate them with other people, so on and so forth.

Seems like memory failure to me, which is normal.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

that's what I think too. It's just weird how much we get wrong.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think when you expect something to be spelled a certain way, you don't look closely. But I definitely thought Meyer and Berenstein.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Take the Star Wars quote. That's a big line in the movie. If you go back and replay the scene in your head, it was fairly easy for me to remember he says "NO, I am your father".

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I only got 8 and 9 correct. Debated on 10.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I never thought Thanksgiving was the third Thursday. There was never a Tennessee Kentucky game on Thanksgiving weekend growing up. Always on the last college football week of the year when we played Vandy.

15. NorrisAlan

Yeah, the whole New Age Mandela Effect mumbo jumbo is just that. Our brain will remember things funny all the time, and you can create memories that never happened.

Take "Play it again, Sam" from Casablanca. That line is never said in the movie, and it isn't even close. Yet that is what everyone quoted. "You played it for her, you can play it for me. Now PLAY IT!" I think that is how the quote really goes.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It could only be 11/15 - 11/21 if that were the case, mostly in the teens. Which it never is. Don't get that one.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is more plausible: people forget, misremember, or even mislearn information and it becomes more common place than that facts, or that we are passing through into other realities?

The font of the Berenstain Bears books made the "a" look like an "e." People get movie quotes wrong all the damn time. Example: what is the most famous line from The Empire Strikes Back? Most would say, "Luke, I am your father." Well, that line wasn't in the movie. He just says "I am your father." But when people discussed the movie and that moment, they commonly misremembered the exact phrase.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oops, beat me to it.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was thinking he said, "No Luke, I am your father."

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I didn't see any Big Lebowski quotes, so this list means nothing to me.