The Best Athlete in the World

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Mar 11, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I definitely think he's the best soccer player in the world. That said, if you're saying he's the best athlete, you have to be asking the question strictly in terms of how good they are at their sport. I think Cristiano Ronaldo is a better all around athlete, and I'm not just talking about raw athleticism.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It beats getting into yet another argument wherein you fail to grasp a concept understood and accepted by the rest of the universe and react by calling everyone else retards. Go troll another site.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Condoms are your friend.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I guess I just disagree then. In this type of conversation, i would prefer to look at the best athlete in terms of the 'athlete with most raw athleticism'. It's your thread though, so i guess we will do it your way.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cyanide is yours. Don't skimp.

Just whatever you do, don't buy a thesaurus. Thats the only thin separating you from axion jaxion.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If Djoke counts, then so should Tiger. He absolutely dominated a game that really can't be dominated.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've read through the thread pretty quickly, but no mention of Calvin Johnson? He's one of the best athletes in the NFL. He deserves consideration.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No mention of Brittney Griner?

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But by KB's standards, athleticism is only one part of the equation. The second part of the equation would eliminate Calvin because there are numerous other receivers (Ex. Andre Johnson) who are just as good, if not better at the position and boast their own athleticism.

10. kidbourbon

(1) Hat would have recommended Drano. Your variation on the theme gets you zero points for originality.
    (2) I like your frame here. You already have your comeback ready for when you don't know what a word means, which will surely happen from time to time. Smartest thing you've done all week.

And, seriously, in the unlikely event that you begin to have intercourse regularly with a female, I strongly recommend the ring. We don't want your seed getting spread on account of a forgotten pill.

NuvaRing: The Once-a-Month Birth Control

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

We're talking best athlete in the world right now, though. Correct? Could certainly have made a case for Tiger a few years ago. I don't think anyone would right now.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We're talking about originality points after you just used the stock don't reproduce line three times and a joke from a four year old Ben Stiller movie for the 800th time? You don't think this stuff through very far, do you?

As for the Axion stuff, consider how many posts you have that do not either proclaim your own awesomeness or call someone else a retard.

13. kidbourbon

Ask this question: can Calvin Johnson -- because of his athleticism -- make plays that no other receiver can make?

If so, he warrants consideration. FWIW, Jerry Rice is, by most objective measures, a better receiver than Randy Moss. But Moss is the better athlete, and it isn't a close call. Now you may respond that: "But KB, didn't you say that Aaron Rodgers had to be considered the better athlete than Vick because they played the same position and he was better at that position? Doesn't this contradict that?"

Just keep in mind that I was playing devil's advocate with the Rodgers v. Vick statement. I'm not sure that I believe it, but I do think it raises an interesting and thought-provoking question.

In sum, I don't want you to think I'm taking athleticism off the table for consideration. I'm not, and it can't be. The two concepts are integrally intertwined. And I'm certainly not divorcing the two ideas by conceptualizing raw athleticism as a means to the ultimate end of being the best athlete. But I'm at least ensuring that the long laundry list of guys who had obscene amounts of raw athleticism that never ended up being particularly great at their sport aren't tossed in a "best athletes ever" conversation.

I hope this makes sense. I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job of articulating this, but this is probably to be expected as the question itself is one that certainly leaves wiggle room for interpretation.

14. kidbourbon

I'm not aware of anyone else ever making "don't reproduce" cracks. Please pull me up a post. Also, pull me up a post where I proclaim my own awesomeness. That is, if you aren't too retarded to do so. Or if it turns out that I've never done that.

I don't even know what you're talking about on the Ben Stiller movie front.

15. kidbourbon

Five years ago, he absolutely has to be on the list.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow. You are not very aware. I'm not going to waste my time catching you up.

17. kidbourbon

There are few athletes in history that had a run of dominance like Tiger had from 2000-2007.

18. kidbourbon

Perfect. I'm rather tired of responding to your dumb ass.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Then the feeling is mutual. Enjoy yourself.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If Novak Djokovic gets nominated, then Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer must also be nominated and automatically get the nod over Joker.