The Les Miles Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Dec 2, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He got it done at LSU

zehr27 likes this.
  2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I could be okay with it, if and only if we struck completely out and it just seems like it's too early to say if we have. Maybe hes already gotten several no's. I don't know.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Yes. I need to hear who has said no before I get onboard.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There have been how many openings this off season? No one has given Miles the time of day.

Tenacious D likes this.
  5. BigOrangeBeech

There's no need to rush this. Take some more time and take more money to 3 or 4 really really good candidates. I'd rather see us pay some ridiculous amount (8-10 mil) to get someone like Patterson or Petersen than to pay the next coach 4-5 mil a year. I mean, if we were willing to pay Gundy 7, surely we'd go to 8-10 range to get someone better than him.

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m hoping that Phil saw how bad a look it was for Currie to zero in on a single candidate. Surely he at least interviews several coaches.

7. BigOrangeBeech

You would hope. We've gotten used to how it was run under Currie and we automatically jump to conclusions when the first name is brought up. Hopefully what Basilio was saying is true and he's got other candidates in mind as well.

8. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

This is where I am too. Fans made our statement and now we just have to hope that Fulmer pulls through... We're going to get who we get now.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Been down this Petersen road a bunch but he always stays on West Coast. What's his motivation to leave?

A-Smith likes this.
  10. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

The quetion with Miles concerns where he is in the coaching cycle of life. His body of work is solid, but is he getting better, has he peaked and holding, or is he on the decline? If he is a good coach who peaked and is on the decline, that is what was supposed to be what was being addressed when Fulmer was fired. . Could it be he would have been a good hire in 2010, but not so much in 2017. The answer to that question largely depends on one’s expectations for this program. Is it to compete or to compete for championships? Or is the latter too lofty an expectation for Tennessee now? For me it is not.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We could almost double his salary. He’s making less than we were paying Butch.

12. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Miles is a great hire, so good that no one was looking at him and he was begging John Currie for a look. Lol.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

pac NW people are odd, as Tn people are, but its a different odd. Don't know how to explain it. Just like Wilcox came and tried it and wanted to get back. Just don't think those coaches want to leave that area of the country. jmo

**TDCVOL** likes this.
  14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He was also working for an absolute clown of a boss out here.

15. BigOrangeBeech

I'd like to see what 10 mil a year and the control he wants would do...people change their mind all the time.

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I’m not here in support of Les Miles but the argument that he could not beat Alabama goes for any coach in the last 11 years in the SEC to be considered the coach at Tennessee. In fact Miles has more victories against Alabama than any coach with 3.
    To put things in perspective how dominate Alabama is the last 11 years:
    Arkansas: 0-11
    Tennessee: 0-11
    Kentucky: 0-4
    Missouri 0-2
    Vanderbilt: 0-3
    Mississippi State: 1-10
    Florida: 1-6
    Texas A&M: 1-5
    Georgia: 1-3
    South Carolina: 1-1
    Ole Miss: 2-9
    LSU: 3-9 (7 in regular season)
    Auburn: 4-7

87-14 overall in the SEC

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

So, because "nobody else is beating Saban" we should just accept that and hire a guy who has only lost two less times than everybody else??

I'll be really disappointed if all the events of the past week are only good enough to end up with Les Miles...

utvol0427 and Tenacious D like this.
  18. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Hope this is the case. Less was flush with athletes all over the field (like us in 90s). I think we can do better.

I would be ecstatic with him or Patterson.

19. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Don't waste your time arguing with the sheep regarding Miles. Anyone with a pulse knows this would not end well.

ben4vols, MaconVol and Tenacious D like this.
  20. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Not saying that. There were some happy with Mullen and/or Sumlin to to come here. They were atrocious against Saban.

dtmvol likes this.