Pearl's overdue apology

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by WM, Apr 2, 2012.

1. WM

WM Active Member

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I saw that this weekend. Kind of awkward timing.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I'm confused. This story is a year old.

4. WM

WM Active Member

The story was revisited because the apology came this past weekend.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

April Fools!

Not really, but it would have been classic.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Like a turd that won't flush. The only, and I repeat ONLY reason Pearl approached him for an apology is that something is going on to where it would benefit Pearl. That or he's getting restless not being in the spotlight and needed to have his name-out-there fix.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

How did Pearl even get a job like Tennessee in the first place? It's a miracle that this didn't sink Pearl a long time ago.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, it took him 15 years, a DII National championship and a Sweet 16 appearance.

The guy is a charlatan but he coached his way up the ladder. He didn't ride in on the "I was roommates with Michael Jordan" clause. I'll give him credit for that.

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

He is competent in coaching, I just am suprised that an AD at a BCS school would hire a guy with Pearl's history. Then again, I guess AD's don't really care too much about the unwritten rules of the coaching community.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They do care, but they also care about winning.

Pearl was exactly what Tennessee needed at the time he was hired, a marketing man that could coach. Obviously, it didn't end well.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lesson learned: they should. Those rules are clearly there for a reason.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If Cuonzo can recruit like Pearl did, the whole incident might turn out pretty favorable for us. Funny how life works sometimes. Another door will always open.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He had done decently in the tourny that year and he wasn't expensive.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To be honest, Pearl wasn't a very good recruiter. He missed on as many as he hit on.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I don't know I thought it was impressive that we landed a couple guys that the blue bloods of college basketball wanted. He couldn't replace CJ Watson to save his life, but I think overall he was pretty solid.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Help me out, the only one I can think of is Tobias Harris.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm assuming he's referring to Scotty Hopson although it's certainly debatable if we actually beat the "bluebloods of college basketball" to get him.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would argue that we didn't.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I agree.