Spring Practice Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

no he hasn't and probably should retire

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What? Did I miss something?

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's been off to the side rehabbing with the other injured players

4. Ssmiff

Hes got a bad wheel. Its been bad and will always hamper him, imo.

5. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Don’t mind me. I am still stinging from years of ineptitude. But, as I watch this...and I did, I think that:

1. Pruitt knows football at a rudimentary and technical level.

2. He’s not a dynamic representative of the program.

3. He believes we suck.

4. He regrets taking the job.

5. He wishes he could publicly rip Butch.

I don’t like BS, but he isn’t encouraging in the slightest. I am glad the players will get some real, and I mean real instruction. But, I don’t expect much. I do hope he gets players. He knows we need them.

7. Ssmiff

he doesn't regret taking the job, imo. He's just all football and doesn't have a 2nd thought about encouraging message boarders

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He doesn't have a 2nd thought about anything other than coaching and recruiting. I'm perfectly okay with it.

A few years in, he'll have his canned responses like everyone else, but right now he's just bluntly honest

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I'll listen to a presser when it's for a championship game.

utvol0427 and 2Maggitt2Quit like this.
  10. Tenacious D

1. Agreed. I’d add that this is most important, as this is most directly and strongly correlated to the winnng and losing of games and championships - and that’s the only metric that will, or should, ultimately matter.

2. I can’t say. More importantly, I don’t care, because it doesn’t matter, at least right now, and hopefully he’s successful enough to where it never does. The widespread acceptance of and appreciation for his personal style, approach and mannerisms - whatever they are, however “dynamic” or mundane - will be directly and positively correlated to his success on Saturday. We’re coming off back-to-back coaches who looked, sounded and comported themselves like they were right out of central casting for college football coaches, but who clearly didn’t know how to actually coach. That’s why they were fired, and why Pruitt, a guy who seems (even at this early stage) to already know more today than they did on their final day. Personally, I believe that Pruitt’s “style” is going over much, much better - rightly or wrongly - with this fan base than it may seem, particularly given their utter exhaustion with the slick carnival barking know-nothing coaches of the recent past. His preeminent emphasis on playing defense, commitment to running the ball, willingness to both go get or move players to where they can be best used, and hell, even the lack of music at practices has been like manna from heaven to this fan base, thus far, IMO. I do agree that he isn’t as slick and flashy as his predecessors, but I’d argue that this is working to his direct advantage, and not his detriment. If he wins, it won’t matter if he wears silk suits and a pinky ring. If he loses, there isn’t a pair of overalls or cowboy boots that’ll be big enough to hide him in, at least for very well or for very long.

3. I agree with your statement, but more importantly, with his sentiment. We absolutely suck. It’s impossible to acknowledge going 4-8 and winless in SEC play and draw any other reasonable conclusion. For him to say otherwise would be to make him a liar, an incompetent or both. And again, the two before him were the worst - lacking both honesty and competency - and that’s why they’re no longer here. And, yes, their is some talent in this roster, but overall, we are too small for the SEC, just in general, we’ve got players who’ve been running gimmicks on offense and defense, who’ve not been pushed in any direction (offensively, defensively, in-season, off-season, on the field, off the field, in the weight room, etc. etc.),who haven’t received proper instruction from a competent staff since the day they stepped foot on campus, and who have instead been told that they’re not only each and all wonderful, but that success will come from paying attention to utterly meaningless and stupid shit like the “Volympics”, sprinting between quarters, black stripes and the “throw game”.

We absolutely suck. Top to bottom. Through and through. And I’d welcome anyone to come at me on that point, and say otherwise.

4. I don’t know, but tend to disagree. I think he’s had enough time to realize what he’s actually got and is missing, and that it’s likely a steeper climb than he expected. But then, you never truly know how bad things are, until you’re actually inside. I don’t think he’s overwhelmed, that he lacks both a vision and a plan to get where we need to be, or that it’s more likely to be too big for him than not, but again, only time and W’s will or can tell that tale.

5. I agree.

11. Ssmiff

he's having to change the entire way our OL, DL, lbs and dbs play football, as well as qb, which should be easier for the qbs, who won't have to process 5 different reads within 1 second of snapping the ball.

12. Tenacious D

This isn’t “at” TDVol or anyone else in particular - but personally, I don’t give a hot damn if I ever see or hear from him, outside of recruiting and coaching.

Ever.

I don’t give a damn if he seemingly doesn’t exist beyond those two things, does another presser, speaks to a single reporter, or flips off and moons fans during the Vol Walk.

That might be a little hyperbole (depends on how his bare ass looks, IMO), but ya’ll get the point.

Frankly, that so many of our fans care about anything besides those two things - and instead focus on absolutely meaningless and utterly stupid shit like how many babies he kisses, whether or not he snapped a selfie with you in the airport, if he noticed your dipshit wife’s freshly bedazzled Vawlz sweater matched BOTH her earrings and her Kate Spade clutch when he came through on the Big Arnge Caravan, how down-to-earth and personable he was while speaking to your half-assed civic club, or how much he seems to “love Tennessee” - is but one of the many reasons why we may be the single most self-defeating and stupid fan bases in the country.

Again, and sincerely, this is neither aimed at TDV or anyone in particular, but just in general, and the indefensibly stupid shit that so many of our fans think makes a damn.

Memtownvol, utvol0427 and kmf600 like this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

One of these days, maybe, the majority of this fan base will figure out that the best ambassador of your football program is a football team that kicks people’s asses

MaconVol and Memtownvol like this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Exactly

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But what about 'britches' and 'Tennessee Players that Want to Be Here' ?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Speculating on the aesthetics of a man's bare buttocks and designer purse references will be the guiding lights for this fan base. To the football promised land!

17. Ssmiff

I'm gonna miss the frumpy guy with double jointed elbows carrying around the trash can.

18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I’m not really pining for SHOWTIME! I certainly don’t want slogans. But, I would personally prefer him to sound more motivated. I do like his honesty, but this is a great job. I am not asking for empty promises, but the occasional we are getting better or going to get better would suffice. Hell, even an energetic we gotta a long way to go would be ok. He just seems so disappointed

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

You may be right, but I don't see him as disappointed. He sounds like a gearhead who just inherited a neglected junky race car, and only has a few weeks before the big race. He wants to race, but there is a lot of work to do

TDVol1989 and lylsmorr like this.
  20. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

it-aint-got-no-gas-in-it.jpg

TDVol1989 likes this.