Aaron Murray doesn't like Pruitt

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jul 17, 2018.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

“We had a no-fighting policy,” one starting player said recalling the Pruitt meltdown. “Jordan (Jenkins) and John (Theus) got into a fight and the policy was that the fighters had to leave practice. They didn’t end up leaving. I mean, it is kind of difficult to have a scrimmage with your best two linemen out of practice. And the thing is that whenever there is a fight with the defensive line and the offensive line it is never one-on-one… it always turns into a five-on-five fight. So all of the sudden both lines are leaving practice?”

"So coach Richt tried to move forward with (Theus and Jenkins) there,” he said. “Pruitt flipped out that those two weren’t leaving. I think he tried to take a ball away or something. Then there were some choice words between the offense and defense. This really wasn’t a Pruitt-Richt thing at the core. Pruitt yelled at Richt, and then our offensive guys got involved - particularly TB (Brown).”

“He got up and took it and walked off the field with it,” said one former student assistant. “He literally took his ball and went home. Everyone thought he was joking, but he was dead-ass serious.”

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like Pruitt even more now

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So Richt becomes more hands off, a uber-Type A comes in, and automatically fills the vaccum, and just happens to be a polar 180 from the man in charge?

Yeah, that might just lead to problems.

justingroves and IP like this.
  5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What is this becoming more hands off stuff? Why in the crap are you getting several million a year if you are going to step back?

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My first thought. You are HC or you are not. Don't mamby-pamby around it.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

And I got curious, because I wanted to know how much Richt was making at UGA. Spoiler alert: the guy that won the conference twice was making less than Butch. Butch was also making more than his owner Will Muschamp. More than Kirby Smart, too.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You didn't know that? We were way overpaying for Butch. It was beyond ridiculous. We lowball the acquisition of a coach, then give him raises every mediocre year in fear of losing him. It's been madness. Go look at how we've been paying our AD's next. It's nuts.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Richt had been around fifteen years and by Tennessee standards was a roaring success. Hard to believe Butch surpassed him salary-wise.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You realize butch jones still makes more than richt, while richt is coaching a winning tradition laden program and butch is washing cars and picking up towels?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Almost any coach without a national title who doesn't take a head football coach job at UT isn't making a financial decision, that's for sure.

justingroves likes this.
  12. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

The relationship between Jeremy Pruitt and Tyson Helton is going to be one to watch.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They've known each other for years.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's called complacency.

Papa Bowden stayed pretty hands off his last 10 years at FSU. That's Richt's mentor

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I could see it if he had two coordinators that had been with him for years. He had a first time college OC (who was evidently making crazy changes on the fly), a new DC, and a whole bunch of other new staff. He needed to be hands on. And he was a pretty good offensive coordinator himself, once upon a time, you'd think he could have been integral in the Bobo-Schottenheimer transition.

16. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Sure, but never have worked together. I could say more but I won’t. Them being on the same page is going to take a little time. Hopefully they make it work.

17. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

The most important thing is that both share a common goal and that’s winning. Saban and Kiffin had a dysfunctional relationship but made it work and Pruitt sat in those meetings everyday

18. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I'd think to two have the mutual understanding that CH will run the O and CP will run the D and stay out of each other's way. But I wouldn't be surprised if CH get a Saban-esque ass chewing from CP if the O starts to sputter. And with the price tag the CH is being paid, his offense better be productive.

IP likes this.
  19. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

CP is not staying out of CH’s way.

20. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Well if that's the case, then we'll have to see how that works.