POLITICS Trump & China

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Electronics mainly. The battlefield of today and tomorrow are largely in the cyber realm. The ability and need to manufacture systems without Chinese fingerprints is becoming increasingly important. But there's also things like additive manufacturing and the resurgence in American rocket technology with Space-X, Blue Origin, and Aerojet Rocketdyne to move away from Russian engines.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I meant what I said. Zehr likes to pipe in with a "sounds about right" sort of affirmation and bring nothing himself, or make an assumption impinging on me personally that is often proved demonstrably false. I get it, you have your boys. And it is fair that maybe he just agrees perfectly with everything said. It's perfectly valid for me to respond in the same spirit in which he remarked I wouldn't have a response for BPV.

My arguments are fine, many people here just disagree. Hell, if you haven't noticed, the substance of what I have said seems to be more popular than your notion that trade deficits are a serious problem. Yet you see me as peeing in your red ball cap just for the hell of it and have nothing to say to the others here. Maybe this is just a sore spot for you.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Think of it this way, if we were to ever go to war against China, what would we have to produce or get an alternate supply for? Low costs has caused us to put over half our eggs in one basket. It has also opened up a colossal attack vector for stealing IP, trade secrets, and national security secrets.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

And much of the manufacturing is dependent on rare earth metals for which china has cornered the supply.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We could mine many of those metals here (we used to), but its an extremely dirty and messy job. We let China do it so its out of sight and out of mind.

IP likes this.
  6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Is that similar to the "like" button?

Asking for a friend.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What the hell? Do you have any idea? I won’t say capital inflow, which could mean a jillion things.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oh i agree with that definitely

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there's a difference between high skilled and high tech and pure grunt work. even our grunt people make twice what people in china do. it just isn't efficient to make stuff like that here. those unskilled people are better off working for walmart or costco than making toasters.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why are we going to war with china? and why can't we get it from indonesia, mexico, india, etc etc etc. china is hardly the only low wage supplier worldwide.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Yep

Zehr likes this one too, but can’t say it.

MWR, zehr27, Beechervol and 1 other person like this.
  12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I said if. Unless you live under a rock, you know that China and the US aren't exactly BFFs, we are potential adversaries. Especially when it comes to electronics, its impossible to build a piece of silicon that does not involve China within the supply chain.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's pretty improbable we go to war with china though. no upside for either country. i agree with you about the chips, but i dont' think a short term supply gap would be huge personally.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Doesn't sound right

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

What would you call stealing IP and trade secrets at an estimated cost of $100bn/year in revenue. We're not shooting each other, but they're delivering the hardware and components with the built in back doors to gain access. It doesn't matter where a product is assembled if the all the legos are coming from China. A supply gap puts a yuge anchor on our entire economy, it'd take a minimum of 1-2 years to set up the industrial base just to start working on the backlog.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it'd create a recession here. it'd send their country into revolution.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think automation will continue to bring those capabilities back. The problem is the complete lack of diversification, if it was spread over all of SE Asia it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal.

droski likes this.
  18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Gonna comment and "like" as well. Covering all possibles.

Laughed.

zehr27 likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

A like is different than a catty "I bet he doesn't reply..."

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And.....?

That’s our power. We should leverage before we piss it all away.