Moving on to Vandy

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 17, 2018.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Weren't most of these kids crap the past two years in college?

kmf600 likes this.
  2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Maybe, but these guys have had an entire season under actual, legitimate coaching now. I get that a lot of them are probably not true SEC talent but at what point do you stop blaming the previous guy? In either event, my basic premise still stands. No excuse for losing to Vanderbilt. Ever.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Probably after the majority of his players are gone.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I just can't buy this.

It's Pruitt's job to get as much out of these guys as he can. The fact that a lot of them don't have much isn't on him.

RockyHill and lylsmorr like this.
  5. Savage Orange

So decent coaching was never going to help these guys?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree in the losing to Vanderbilt. It is going to take until 2019's spring practice to have the players in a year of S&C. It's going to be December or the end of spring practice to weed out the guys that haven't bought in.

Between Dooley and Butch, everything the last 8 years has been so horribly mismanaged it's going to take a little bit of time.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I get that people are tired of losing but don't lose your damn minds in the process.

Be realistic. It was hope that took most of us to predicting 8-4/7-5. Nothing based in reality.

warhammer likes this.
  8. Savage Orange

It’s just hard to believe that these guys, some of whom were pretty highly regarded coming out of HS, could be such total shit due to Lyle that a decent coach can’t get ANYTHING out of them now.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You develop 3-4 years worth of terrible habits. Do you ever recover? If so, how long does it take? That's what we're looking at with Jones recruits.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Imagine this as the total human equivalent of muscle atrophy.

Savage Orange likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee won for the first time at Jordan-Hare since 1998. Tennessee has beaten two top 25 ranked opponents this year. The team has improved, but it's nowhere near healthy. It's going to take this signing class and some more S&C work before we see what we want to see.

I hate losing and I hate blaming the last guy, but it's hard to fathom how bad the last 8 years were, not just on the field but in recruiting, S&C, organizational stuff all of it. Three ADs that all sucked, a chancellor that actively went against athletics and a mini Civil War between the fans and the school, it's being fixed now but it's a lot of work.

lol vol and lylsmorr like this.
  12. Savage Orange

My preseason prog was 6-6 with a bowl win to finish 7-6... still on the table but after the Auburn win I admit, I caught wood for what could happen if things went our way.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think the defense has improved quite a bit. It didn't show this week, but coverage was good. Lock just put the ball exactly where it had to be, and we couldn't get any pressure on him.

Offense is built around deep ball and a prayer. We just have a few really good Wr's that wins the jump ball.

14. Savage Orange

We’ve been pretty patient, all things considered. I guess now that there’s light at the end of the tunnel I’m ready to quit blaming Lyle. I hate it when new Presidents (no matter who they may be) spend the first two years blaming the previous one for every bad thing that happens. It’s just not manly, imo.

zehr27 and justingroves like this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, but Butch's lack of S&C is the most damning thing he did. That takes a while to get out of that hole.

warhammer, chavisut and lylsmorr like this.
  16. Savage Orange

If NYY’s statement about Pittman actually progresses into him actually coming here, our OL worries will be a thing of the past... hopefully his sources are correct.

justingroves likes this.
  17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

A full offseason will make a big difference. Not to mention the gains from current in season.

Hopefully half this class or more are EEs.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Callaway and JG both day to day.

Still feel more optimistic about Callaway though.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's helped some of them.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It is a valid excuse this year. Next year no so much. 20 months is an eternity in the weight room.