Helton Gotta Go

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

we pulled a 6'4 330 lb walkon lineman over to the lb group today for lbs to work on getting off blocks and evidently the kid dominated our starting lb's a couple times.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That puts you in 3 and outs with 3 defensive linemen and 3 linebackers that can play.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's what UT does regardless, though.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Since when does UT have a 330 lb walkon lineman? Are you sure it wasn't Kingston Harris?

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We got one. 6'4ish.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Who’s the OC on this team?

Not who has the OC title - who is actually the OC?

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It was evident early in the season that they wanted to be run heavy to protect an unknown in JG and bring him along slow. I dont think that was the wrong idea at all and I dont think Pruitt was against the idea and was probably at the head of that decision. Shorten the game, protect your QB and the ball. I dont think he nor Helton thought the OL would be as bad as it ended up being and as you said they re essentially learning on the job themselves.

I dont know how good or bad any of them are but if they re able to get the talent I'm willing to wait and see what they can do with it.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jarious Abercrombie is his name

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Like if you were Stevie Wonder and saw a piece of music you just had to play...

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's the issue, in my opinion. Helton hasn't been good, but Friend has a lot of say on how the offense is designed as well.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Changing after this year would be 4 OCs in 4 years, too. I don’t think that’s a reason not to change by itself if it’s necessary but it’s not ideal either

InVolNerable likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If someone on the staff gets promoted (looking at you, Osovet) the change isn't that big of a deal. Now, going out and making wholesale changes to it, that would suck.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t like the two OC’s stuff. Too many hands in the kitchen.

If it’s just a bullshit title to keep a recruiter, that’s fine but anything else than that I don’t see working

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Only time I remember it working well was Fuente and whoever else at TCU.

Memtownvol likes this.
  15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If Pruitt is wanting / allowing Friend to be the unseen hand as the adjunct OC, then that’s chickenshit.

If either of them thought it a good idea to split any of Friend’s laser-focus off of the OL, then they’re both dumb.

If Helton is willing to publicly take the fall for such a hidden arrangement, particularly given the situation he just left at USC, then he’s too stupid to be our OC.

I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about these inner workings, given our offensive struggles and the obviously strained relationship between Helton & Pruitt.

JMHO.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Larry Scott doesn’t count.

lol vol and justingroves like this.
  17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I would guess if Friend has his hand in the offense it was probably discussed and explained on the front end that it was going to be that way and Helton agreed to it being that way.
    If Pruitt told Helton this was his offense and he shows up and is then told the OL coach is gonna have a hand in the scheme and or philosophy you have a bigger issue than who's scheming and calling plays.

Thats a terrible look for Pruitt if it was done that way. I don't think it was a surprise to Helton if thats actually whats going on.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Helton and Friend have worked together before. This isn't a surprise to either of them

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would argue no offensive coordinator under Butch counts

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain