Helton Gotta Go

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Exactly.
    If they don't work out you move on with enough money to get something you want.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Friend doesn’t have much to work with. I’ll get down on him if he gets some legit talent and they still look the way they’ve looked this year.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My issue with Helton is that his playcalling makes no damn sense and is as predictable as Sab stalking teen recruits. No, he does not have a good offensive line. That line has been terrible for 5 years now and there is no Dobbs to bail them out. There are not many ways around that, but there are a few. He did it against SC. He has not done it since. It makes no sense.

At one point how many first down runs in a row did he call? It was at least 10.

4. Beechervol

You had 2 substantial questions with this offense starting the season. The OL and QB play. The 2 most important positions/units on that side of the ball. Most felt the skill positions would be fine and they have been for the most part.

The OL questions got answered early when Kennedy went out, and Smith and Hall never got right with Smith eventually going completely out. It went from questionable to terminal. Not at LT or the right side or one position but pretty much across the board. You dont have one guy unlike last year with Smith where you can at least run behind him and know you will get something positive. I dont believe there is a player on this OL today that could start at Vandy. That's a different level of bad.

At QB you ve had solid progress that has been tied to JG staying on his feet. He has missed time against UF, Bama, and Mizzou because his OL cant pass block nor run block well enough to even keep a D somewhat honest. I'm surprised he has been able to play in every game honestly that's a miracle in and of itself.

Expecting any level of consistency out of this offense with that OL and a brand new scheme to the point of firing the OC after 1 season is not being realistic.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I didn't say consistency. I want logical.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Friend may be more of an issue than Helton

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It will be curious to see how quick he would cut bait on friend with their history.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hard for me to believe Friend cant coach. OL who have committed to play for him, including 2 top tackles in the country do their homework.

9. Beechervol

What's "logical" when you cant run or pass block and your starting QB has missed time in 3 games and may not play in the last because hes taken more shots than Joe Frazier?

You have to have something you can consistently go to with or without balance or a lot of what you try wont make sense. The OL is not even slightly consistent in either phase of blocking.
    All in mind that your trying to teach a new philosophy that includes a down hill, smashmouth identity as per the head coach.

10. Beechervol

Agreed.
    And hes coaching the least talented and worst developed unit on this team. And it's not really close.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I’ve gone over what logical is. Playing to the few strengths, or smallest weaknesses, of the team. Not being so predictable.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You know what, this line can’t block air. Let’s do play action from under center. That doesn’t take time to develop at all. How about pass plays that take time to develop instead of more quick hitters.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know what won’t work with this offense. Well, maybe to everyone not named Tyson Helton

13. Beechervol

When your OL is what this one is your gonna be predictable and easier to defend.

Our strength is going down field and opening up the underneath stuff. That strength also has your QB seeing double about every other attempt.

That's not rocket science either.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is such a canned response that’s been said too many times now. We’re done here

15. Beechervol

It is what it is.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  16. Beechervol

I agree.

Why does that not work for Helton when 5 of the 11 players on the field are coming from Friends unit?

It's no different than saying Helton needs better players or even Pruitt for the entire program.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only strengths are jump balls to Callaway and letting Palmer and Murphy run by everyone, Jennings on slants as well. You can't abandon the run and be one dimensional because you can't pass block and you've got an, at best, two read QB. It's a bad situation all the way around.

Ssmiff likes this.
  18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Heltons version of two dimensional is working great

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's been bad, but it's had its moments. The entire team is wildly inconsistent, it's what happens when you have mediocre players, no depth and first time HC, DC and OC all learning on the job.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Also why does this excuse bad play calling? Throw it 35 times a game because that’s playing to the strengths. Nothing but shotgun to give the QB more time.