Basilio on Pruitt & Helton

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 29, 2018.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

This experience tells me Pruitt isn’t going to hire anyone he doesn’t have strong ties with. I’m fully expecting Chip Lindsey at this point.

Tenacious D likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

And such a vetting only goes so far in altering the optics from the public.

TDVol1989, Savage Orange and NYY like this.
  3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I will say that from what I’ve heard from my Auburn friends Lindsey continually gets his legs cut from under him by Malzahn on playcalling. If Gus doesn’t like the call he changes it... a lot.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That’s my guess. As soon as he gets that $100k retention bonus from Barn, I think he’s named.

Just my blind-assed guess.

NEW COACH likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, I mean hiring a well respected coach that's considered a bright football guy is a glaring example of it.

lylsmorr likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

He didn't get what he thought he did, and apparently who his kin was was a factor. It is what it is.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pruitt has spent a lifetime on the defensive side of the ball. The gap between offensive staffs and defensive staffs are wide. So what do you do? You network and get recommendations from the people you know.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get it. But you do have to filter. I am certainly not close to this and merely speculating.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's how coaching works

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And let's be perfectly honest... outside of maybe a handful of coordinators... we all run the same stuff.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Let's see, trust a guy who was your roommate in college that you've kept up with that's worked with the guy and also a HOF college football coach.

This isn't Butch hiring Canales or Debord. This is getting, on paper, a good hire that is now a head coach.

12. Savage Orange

In that regard, how much weight does Gruden’s recommendation(?) of Drinkwitz carry here?

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Basilio not accurate about Shrout thoughts imo. Heard Pruitt likes his arm, but also that the OL recruits and staff love Maurer.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I made a hire based on my roommate in college, I would be in trouble. If he was the best candidate without that, then it isn't even worth noting.

I am not invoking butch. I have just noticed a universal pattern of hirings of relatives of friends or friends of relatives frequently resulting in unsatisfactory hirings. As good of a guy as helton probably is and head coach he may now be, this was an unsatisfactory hire for Pruitt and the program. Apparently.

I'm not looking for a pissing match, you'll win. The dots I connected are all over this thread, though. I didn't make them.

NEW COACH likes this.
  15. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

The only comment Pruitt made was that Shrout had the strongest arm. The dude threw 25 interceptions his senior year of high school.

Maurer is an average QB in a terrible 2019 QB class. Harrison Bailey is the QB of the future.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're whining about the way the world works. I'm sorry you're bitter.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I can imagine there isn't a soul on campus who will listen to anything Gruden says.

tvolsfan, reVOLt, CardinalVol and 2 others like this.
  18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it’s just the game. To make it coaching college you have to put up with a lot of shit and hope that you get at attach your wagon to a rising star.

It’s a lot like acting in waiting to get your big break

19. Savage Orange

This is very reassuring...

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Both can play. Maurer a little bigger and better athlete, which is what I want to see.