Hugh Freeze

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I opposed Schiano for the same reason. The morality issue was the prybar I used to justify and bolster my opposition. I admit it.

reVOLt likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

My objections aren't related to his abilities as a coach, so I wouldn't really be advancing my argument by selling you someone as "better" even if they truly are. You can look at the start of this thread and see that I thought freeze was, football-wise, a great fit. Then I learned about details of his ole miss time I didn't know and about the accusations from HS teaching days.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Agree that it brings up an interesting discussion. It's tough as a fan to figure out exactly where that line is. The owner of the hockey team I follow made part of his fortune selling subprime auto loans. Not sure I think that's an upright line of business, but I haven't left the fandom over it.

Any organization of reasonable size is going to have some very, very skeevy people in it. So if you just want to avoid supporting such an organization, you're going to have to go Amish. I'm not sure I've totally sorted out my feelings, but right now, I've got two questions that I'm asking:

(1) How skeevy is skeevy?

Are we talking paying players (which I don't even morally oppose anyways)? Are we talking giving them better grades than they deserve? Are we talking creeping on underage boys/girls?

(2) How confident are we that (a) skeevy thing happened, and (b) the leadership of the organization is aware of it and just refusing to do anything about it.

In this case, I think Freeze would fail (or pass, depending on how you look at it) on both points. The quantity of accusations and persistence of the rumors and innuendo make me pretty confident that at least a fair bit of it is true and that the UT leadership has to have a pretty good idea that at least a fair bit of it is true. And it goes pretty far beyond paying players.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm as sure that it will be freeze as I can be without knowing anything special. Just a gut feeling. Too much smoke.

utvol0427 and Tar Volon like this.
  5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He's not worth the risk

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Freeze's offenses at Ole Miss were one time (1) in the top twenty in efficiency. The rest of it was a good defense allowing the offense a lot of opportunities to score points. A lot of his offenses were hovering around the 50s in efficiency.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You seem to be quick to write people off over "accusations".

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Did you say the same about Schiano?

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Sonny Cumbie

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The Fulmer angle in all of this is interesting to me.

I didn't think Pruitt would even be given the green light to talk to Freeze with Fulmer as the AD honestly.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am consistent in listening to them and wanting them fully investigated, yes. I don't see why a 30 something woman would randonly lie about being made to change shirts in front of him, noting that nothing sexual happened.

Also, I have heard no apology or mea culpa regarding the ole miss events. And I wasnt aware that the implication was he was securing prostitutes for recruits/players, that's not the same as a private personal hooker problem.

There has been a lack of clarity and candor about these things, and they certainly have a nexus that gives credence to them in total, even if some parts are unprovable.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's in network. Sexton vouches for him.

Sexton is clearly the agent to have.

13. Beechervol

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...iveness-statement-mississippi-fans/699707001/

FWIW.

This in no way is an endorsement because he made a statement and reads like the similar stuff you get from someone in that position. Im not sure how much if anything you can read into it.

IP likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

To be fair there is sworn testimony about Schianos knowledge, and proof of boys being raped while he was on staff. Different imo of a closed Facebook page that included 1 post from a girl who was kicked out of the school.
    I still dont want Freeze. Dont like him or the look on his face. Dont trust him either.

warhammer likes this.
  15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

16. Beechervol

There are a lot of people in that network. Fulmer will be the responsible party on this. Much moreso than Pruitt.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Still no other evidence about Schiano. And I don't think that statement about Schiano came during a legal hearing.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think I agree.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I deffer that decision to Pruitt and Fulmer.

GahLee likes this.
  20. Beechervol

And thats fair.

I was just adding that in there since it was in question. Im not going to begin to try and vouch for the sincerity of it in any way.