20 years...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 4, 2019.

1. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I don't think we would've beaten Miami in '01 so that's a bit consoling.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That '01 Miami team is perhaps the best team in history.

tvolsfan likes this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Possibly, but they only beat BC by 11 and VT by 2. They were beatable and we'd have given them a better game than anyone else that year. We had the advantage at QB and we had a better D-line than anything they'd faced all year.

chavisut likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Clausen over Dorsey?

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Yeah. If I remember correctly, Clausen had an almost 10% higher completion rating that year.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Everyone in their best Bob Seger voice, Twenty years, where’d they go...........

JayVols and NYY like this.
  7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

They were a fluke deflection away from losing that BC game.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

We would have had a much, much better chance than Nebraska.

tvolsfan, justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Absolutely. I think Miami had gone the entire season without surrendering a sack...Vols would have been far and away the most disruptive front 7 they’d faced all season.

And we had several big playmakers and were balanced offensively...would have found a way to maintain possession and score some points.

That UT team was an 18-point dog in Gainesville and didn’t bat an eye in the swamp. They would have expected to win against Miami.

I’d still have taken the Canes, but in a back and forth battle.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It would have been a push at best. They had the edge at probably every other position.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

That Miami defense was sick. Absolutely sick.

tvolsfan and NorrisAlan like this.
  12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If we played like we did against Florida, which happened very infrequently that season. If we played like we did against UGA, LSU, or UK, it’s a blowout.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Actually, no. I don’t think Travis Stephens could have carried the offense on his back against Miami.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

No - but Washington, Stallworth, Witten, Graham, Parker should have provided enough options to spread the field and keep Miami honest defensively.

I think our skill guys offensively could match their skill guys defensively.

Problem is, when Miami had the ball, I don’t think our d-backdield could hang with their dudes.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Witten seldom did anything like that his entire college career. Those same guys didn’t free up Clausen to do anything against Florida.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

It was definitely the Washington and Stallworth show...those guys combined for nearly 2000 yards.

But Graham and Witten both made big plays over the course of the year, each catching 30 balls or so for 300ish yards.

You combine all that with Stephens being a 1400 yard back, I just think the Vols had enough options offensively to pick up first downs and grind that TOP like Fulmer liked to do.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Since we'll never actually know how it would have turned out, I choose to believe the Vols would have thrashed Miami on their way to a blowout win with Keith Jackson again trying to steal the show from the Vols while doing play by play.

JayVols, NorrisAlan and justingroves like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The defensive line was also a push.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Who did Miami have at DT? Was Wilfork there yet?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was a freshman. They were elite, but so was Tennessee.

Miami's DBs and LBs were all future All Pros