Spring Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Mar 3, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're taking it easy with his knee

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He will not be in Knoxville in August

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This. He is expected to start but he is taking it easy this spring. He is even talking about trying to gain another year of eligibility.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I meant where is he going?

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've heard nothing official, but I feel like there was a school a while back I heard that was actually not a NAIA d2 school that had interest that made me pause.

Have seen articles linking him to Ohio State and Penn State, but nothing more than scuttle butt.

I still say Liberty to be reunited with the good reverend.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Per Ubben's mailbag column:

I just didn't know what to think as I read the first sentence. I even paused a bit before reading the second and coming back from whatever alternate universe to which I had briefly traveled.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Look at Card using some navy lingo!

MaconVol likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Oh God, what did I say as to never use it again?

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Scuttle butt

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I enjoyed this, except for the JG comparisons to Crompton and possibly the QB with the worse stats in nfl history.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How can a person not like Jim Chaney?

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney is great

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He worked magic with both Crompton and Peterman in college. Who cares what they did in the NFL, as that is a completely different game.

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Gibbs is getting reps on both sides of the ball right now. Don't know of that's a good thing or a bad thing.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Supposedly all part of the plan

If Fields and McCullough look as good as reports say, Tennessee has some actual depth at DB

zehr27 and Memtownvol like this.
  16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

All of our linebackers from the pics I see are wearing DonJoy wrist guards.... just added support and protection

Peterson in the photo I saw wasn't wearing a knee brace, nut he was wearing a Douglas shoulder harness on the R shoulder that is built into the shoulder pads. Probably a precaution from a past injury.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

How much does all the tape and stuff really do for preventing an injury? I'm guessing it is partly just a mental security thing. If something really torques your shoulder, surely that tape or compression stuff isn't gonna matter.

18. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

The particular wrist braces they are wearing are fairly rigid. They will give some compression which feels nice, but the two main things it does it prevents hyperextending of the wrist and protects it from repetitive blows from hands/helmets/etc.

The particular type of harness is made into the brace. It will limit the range of motion that the shoulder joint can reach. Trying to prevent dislocations of the shoulder.

As far as tape, it is really all dependent on the how well its done (safe to say TN guys are getting good tape jobs) and then what type of method/tape is being used. It can certainly prevent some things or limit severity, but it cant prevent all because sometime torque just wins. Personally, I tape positions differently. An OL is going to get a much heavier tape job than the average WR/DB. I will take in to consideration current injury status and injury history. Its far more than just strapping up with a few rolls of tape.

IP, MaconVol, justingroves and 2 others like this.
  19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I know spring practice observations are often just people blowing smoke, but I'm getting excited reading about the game slowing down for Guarantano. His arm has always been fine, and his toughness is excellent, but he has had a lot of trouble getting locked into one decision pre-snap and not being able to react to what the defense gives him. If that's improving, he could be an actual asset.

PilotFlyingJ and A-Smith like this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

15-0

warhammer and zehr27 like this.