Spring Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I hope so, as it appears the 2 young guys behind him are struggling with accuracy. JG has been fairly accurate for the most part. If he can get us out of bad plays, buy some time by shifting in the pocket, run to get 3 yards for a first down if we need it, and get rid of the ball before the wr makes his break, we will be ok on offense,
    Hopefully Chaney teaches him those skills and being a man inatead of a kid should help as well.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

FYP

warhammer, kmf600 and A-Smith like this.
  3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Only Rick Clausen has been less impressive than JG, to this point. But at least with Rick, you knew exactly what he was, and had no illusions that he could be anything more.

I’d take latter season Crompton over JG today.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

that wouldn't be enough to make much of a difference. I'll take the mystery box we have

kmf600, A-Smith and zehr27 like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is the first time he's the undisputed starter in the spring too.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chaney does a very good job "dumbing down" offenses too. He and Kiffin both were of the mindset of if it works, do it until it's not working.

Too many OCs try to get cute and run what they want instead of what's actually working

Tenacious D and Memtownvol like this.
  7. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

I remember hearing something about how Kiffin would try and have some like 5 or 6 plays he like to run and do it out of maybe 3 different formats. He believed in near perfect execution of plays.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Less competition has never bred superior results.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

that would seem to be a way to maximize the advantage on offense. the Butch years, we would screw ourselves on drives all by our damn selves with wasted broken plays

Memtownvol likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Kiffins play action one direction, with a qb rollout the opposite direction pass play left the TE open for easy passes near the hash. Kept Crompton moving and he didnt have to think as much.

12. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

Seems like Cut would use this from time to time for pretty good gains as well.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I believe this is Sean McVay's approach. Mix up formation & motion to create mismatches, but use similar plays/concepts.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Ssmiff

Defense cant sellout and send 6 upfield like they all did to us last year with misdirection, which we hardly used.
    They knew when and where we were running quite often, and when we did pass, they knew our OL couldnt block well, and we were going to a quick pass to the flat, a slant or throw it up for a 50/50 ball.
    We need to make defenses defend the flats, outside the hashes and deep middle of the field, as well as have to defend a few QB runs and our run game. Hopefully Chaney can make it happen

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

eh.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Why are there no pictures of 300 pound men crashing into each other

17. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Offseason champs again baby. They may beat our ass in the fall but we dominate spring and summer.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Stop all this common sense talk about offense. No! You will get my hopes up. No no no. The game is above our heads. It can’t be that simple. It can’t.

I am more comfortable hearing how long it will take to rebuild. Now that just feels better.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't worry. It's a young team.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Half the team has never been to Florida.

PilotFlyingJ and TDVol1989 like this.