Rick Barnes Is Staying

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 8, 2019.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

"All I gotta do is have a lot of regular season wins? Jackpot."

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Annual run to the sweet 16 implies that it happens every year. I didn't happen last year and it won't happen next year.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

To what end though?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

"What are they going to do, buy me out? I'll be at UCLA tomorrow."

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

His own entertainment, I guess.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I recall you skewering him because it took him about 24 hours to make a decision. Pardon me if that seems a little rash.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I give him immense credit for being honest, too. And sometimes being honest is the stupidest thing to do, as it was here.

But if this isnt where you want to be, and you were willing and wanted to leave - forgive me for not believing him to be some bastion of truth and character, considering he just took $20M from a school that he wanted to leave 8 days ago.

Y’all want to act like that’s cool? Cool.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I skewered him because he was taking 24 hours to consider a pay cut to restart a rebuild at 64-- allegedly. Obviously his 24 hours was more of giving UCLA a chance to pony up that buyout. Or do you believe that detail just fell from the sky after his soul searching?

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Second raise in 4 months, too.

10. Tenacious D

I have a great reason to believe he wants to leave - he said so. Today. In public. With his mouth. Twice.

We just paid $20M for a coach who you’re certain doesn’t “..think Tennessee is a cesspool.”

Cool, cool.

YankeeVol likes this.
  11. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

I am fine with it. Most of us with a pulse knew that was the deal. I would rather know reality than have my intelligence insulted.

12. Tenacious D

They’re so glad to be good at anything again that they have to try and explain this away, somehow.

The man was trying to leave their asses 8 days ago, but the [itch bay] he was leaving them for couldn’t afford his bus fare. So they’re just glad he’s still here, and focus on his being honest about trying to leave, so as to not have to think that he wanted and tried to actually leave.

He’s just soooo honest.

utvol0427 likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

That’s exactly what he said.

IP likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Again, it isn't about "knowing reality" or not-- it isn't about what he said. It was true before he said it. His saying it changed not a damn thing I've been saying, as is evidenced by my posts here. The insult to intelligence comes when we pretend like God divinely spoke to him to stay, and that he feels like it is the Plan for him to be here. Bull. Shit. Bullshit. But blasphemy is fine when it comes from a pharisee.

YankeeVol likes this.
  15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I believe career changing decisions with millions of dollars on the line probably warrant a few hours thought.

16. Tenacious D

Sorry, can he coach both?

I think Beyoncé is hot. My wife knows this and couldn’t give a shit less. If I attempted to actually leave her for Beyoncé, she wouldn’t be ok* with that.

I’m stunned you can’t see that difference.

*Well, she would find it laughably funny, but you get my point.

17. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Also, fair to say he should have left. If not 100 percent invested in his current gig, I was hoping he would leave. No resentment from me at all, because I did not want him staying and second guessing himself from here out.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’d have not cared a bit if he’d packed his things and left.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You expecting Beyoncé to show up at your door and offer you a few million to screw her?

20. Tenacious D

God told him.

Well, God told him and UCLA wouldn’t pay his buyout.

But also, “God”. And “honest”.

Sooo, so, so honest.

YankeeVol likes this.