2019 Vol Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by lylsmorr, Feb 15, 2019.

1. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Man I (athletic trainer) am seeing more and more kids with arm injuries by 9th grade. We institute these pitch counts and think that is going to help. And it was a good plan. But then everyone has that local pitching coach who makes his money by giving kids lessons. So the kid throws at these lessons and nobody counts those throws along with practice throws and game throws. You ended up with shoulder and elbow injuries...

Was talking to a guy in my profession that is a baseball guru of sorts... trains/treats many guys in the offseason and consults with a number of teams... he was talking about how it is crazy that little Timmy has to throw 12 months a year, yet the MLB guys take around 4 months off from throwing....

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Describes this kid to a T.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

How can the parents be that dumb?

4. CardinalVol

I don't know. I guess because he's throwing properly they think it is ok.

Tuesday night I swear it looked like he tried to throw a curve ball. It sure as heck looked like a 12 to 6 attempt that didn't break.

5. CardinalVol

d1baseball.com has us as a 3.

2 of 3 this weekend would make me feel much, much better.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

So many fall victim to the salesman’s pitch from the ole local pitching coach or “skills trainer” who in a lot of cases either played college or maybe minor leagues... or even better... found success with some really talented kid who would have been fine without their help anyway...lot of dudes out here making a living or side hustle income by selling that dream as a AAU/travel ball coach.

Then you have delusional parent....or Uncle Rico syndrome... this parent believes their kid is special...kid is typically a QB, PG, middle infielder or P.... kid is usually average... sometimes he was great on the youth league but stopped growing after 7th or 8th grade and everyone caught up... HS coach is always and ahole or moron bc they don’t recognize that players greatness.. lol

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  7. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

2 would lock it up in my opinion.

Some of the mics have teams ahead of us from other conferences that we smoked... like Indiana

8. CardinalVol

My boy works with Jabari for football stuff and works with a hitting coach. I don't expect him to be (hopefully) anything more that a pretty good high school player once he hits his growth spurt. Baseball wise, he's taught him a thing or two I would not be able to, but it's worth it for the lack of frustration from both of us having a third party work with him.

GoVols2003 likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

That might do it. Nice W.

GoVols2003 likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

Current 10 seed for Hoover. Could theoretically get as high as the 6 if every card fell right -

Sweep Ole Miss
    Florida/Mizzou split last 2
    Arky sweep A&M
    Auburn split or lose last 2

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Pitcher last night stayed low all night and pitched as soon as ole miss was in the box. Threw a great game. And makes me feel old to see my former teammate's son at SS for Ole miss.

12. CardinalVol

13. CardinalVol

That should remove any doubt.

Now lets get to .500 in conference.

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Tough to lose Crochet, who is a protected 1-2 RD pick next year I believe. .... Vitello said jaw was misaligned. He will have surgery tomorrow.

15. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

On subject of kids and pitching:
    A player on my 10 year old son's travel team injured his elbow. He was throwing a ball (not pitching) and just fell down in pain during a game. Its in a cast and I may be a little incorrect in describing but something like his tendon is torn where it attaches to his growth plate?

I didn't think much of it because our coaches are really good about pitch counts - making sure guys ease into the season and having their own count limits that are less than what the tournaments require, etc. I have an older kid and this 10 year old team does an even better job of getting the arms warmed up and loose, etc. than the 13 year olds.

But then found out that this kid sees a pitching coach twice a week and has since early December, and plays in a league where is the main pitcher - games twice a week and a game or two on the weekends when we do not play. So this kid is usually pitching 4 times a week - maybe even 5 times on some weeks. Coaches found out about it after the fact and were really upset.

Just weird how parents can be.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't know if Currie walked ass backwards into this or just made a great hire. Vitello is the real deal.

17. CardinalVol

FYP

Absolutely ridiculous.

18. CardinalVol

Saw Ethan Small got SEC pitcher of year.

Good kid, good family. Happy for him.

19. CardinalVol

Thinking we used every iota of auburn mojo in football for this year.

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Pro tip... research some arm care routines (I would suggest Mike Reinold or Eric Cressey) and have your kids do that. Use it with the pitch counts and then take 3 months off from throwing a year. Will likely avoid issues if you do that.