COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Coronavirus is just like the flu, except it isn't caused by influenza, is more infectious, lacks any mitigation, and until this year, lacked treatment protocols.

But other than those differences, yup, you got it.

2. fl0at_

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Why wouldn't cases be relatively low per site if the bars and restaurants are closed and/or only partially open, which was the case for the months preceding those emails?

2. Why can I easily find a story on exactly this from August 4, if this is supposed to be a new revelation? https://tennesseelookout.com/2020/0...ars-account-for-few-confirmed-covid-19-cases/

This is an astroturf social media thing. It'll work because everyone hates COVID shutdown stuff, but it is entirely in bad faith and will likely lead to more people getting sick in the long run because of the distrust and doubt it stirs.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I believe the revelation was the discussion around how to message it. The emails that were exchanged seem to be positioning the release you linked. It even mentions the question of keeping pace with the ever-changing numbers.

I do agree with you that if most establishments aren’t open, why would we see cases? But, I’m not there. I know some have socially distanced rooftops and are opened. Not sure how ‘shut down’ shut down is.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The more I read the article vs the email, the more this does feel like a hatchet job. The number of cases tied to the LARGELY SHUT DOWN bars and restaurants was released (the 80 number). The email mentions data release standards for not giving how many cases per small geographic area when those numbers were less than 10. I’m wondering if that means privacy standards. There didn’t seem to be cover up in that email. The person said we could release the two that have more than 10 but that kind of singles them out when there have been cases elsewhere - just not enough to meet our release standard. So, instead just report the total number. Which was done.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It goes back to manipulation amd control of livelihood and freedoms, followed by the nashville mayor asking for bailout for 85 million and hiking taxes.
    Yeah, nothing to see here. All for the safety of patrons more likely to die on the way home from a bar or be shot in downtown nashville than get sick from covid.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Cooper had just shut down bars again after they had re opened during this time frame.

9. fl0at_

I'm going to start doing this, just because of how stupid it is:

Cops don't need guns, they're more likely to die in an car accident than be shot on the job. It's just more manipulation and control.

People don't need cops, they're more likely to die in a car accident than a home invasion.

10. Ssmiff

People who are under control are often too delusional or weak or dumb to realize it. Figure out where you fit in

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

But hadn't they been closed since May before that, reopened in July, Nashville and Tennessee numbers went up (but not tracked to bars) and so they closed down again for a few weeks? The context of the overall numbers and the literal inability for bars to yet have contributed to them is what is being removed from the narrative. It was a preventative measure.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, stop it. I have been told the exact same stuff from homeless people who think they're pretty damn clever because they won't work for anyone or pay taxes. "You're a slave, man!"

utvol0427 likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

Stay oblivious to the control media and politics has had over you for awhile. Its fine.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When your mayor has made unpopular (bad decision) after unpopular decision, this is not going to look good no matter what.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There were also protest marches where Cooper was leading the way, literally.

It's terrible PR. If bars led to 80 cases, what caused the other 1,930? You've put a lot of people out of work over 80 cases. Also, property taxes went up 34% while this was going on. It's a terrible look for the mayor's office.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's also shut down fall sports and classrooms while literally every county touching Davidson is going as normal.

He's not allowing fans for Titans games in September.

He's a whirlwind of shitty decisions

SetVol13 likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Revenge of the nerds.

18. vols4sure

vols4sure Member

When you are worried about the numbers being released because they may not support your policy decisions (favoring certain businesses over others) and you intentionally do not release the numbers, it is a bad look. Reasonable argument that it is your policy decisions that resulted in the low numbers but that does not justify you hiding the numbers from the public.

SetVol13, IP and justingroves like this.
  19. fl0at_

It's like I tell my kid all the time, "hey man, you're more likely to die of heart disease, so why not take up smoking and hardcore drugs?

You mean like that level of stupid? Like ssmiff stupid?

20. fl0at_

See, this is a valid argument.