Georgia

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 4, 2020.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Trap game for Georgia and we are good enough to beat them.

Fly Jennings down to Athens to give the pregame speech.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We need to see our defense take a big step this week. Georgia’s offense isn’t a juggernaut, but if South Carolina can put up 27 and Mizzou can get into scoring territory four times, Georgia can definitely put up a number in the high 20s or 30s. I’m hoping that we played vanilla against Mizzou with the big lead and that the defense comes out looking nasty this week.

Georgia’s defense is better than our offense. We need JG to make smart decisions, for our offensive line to earn their press clippings, and for our skill guys to make some clutch plays to keep drives alive.

All of that is possible, and if everything goes right, we can win, especially if they have half an eye on Alabama. What I expect is a game where they get a couple long drives and keep us at an arm’s length—where we go back and forth between one and two scores back but never close the gap completely—something like 28-17. But if we play like we did against South Carolina and they play like last night, we could lose by three or four scores.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If they play like they did against Arkansas and Tennessee plays like they did against Missouri, Tennessee wins by 17.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think some of the Auburn result has to be taken with a grain of salt. Auburn was fundamentally dog shit on both sides of the ball last night. If we play broke [penis] ball like that, sure, we will lose. But we have never looked as self-sabotaging as Auburn did, in our two games.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Guarantano is due, though

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

It comes down to 3 things for me.

1. Stop the run
    2. If we take care of number 1, can we get pressure without having to bring extra people too many times?
    3. JG will have to play his best game for us to win. He doesn't have to throw for 400 yards, but I think he will need to make some big throws in this game. If he can loosen up the defense with his arm, the running game is gonna be there.

Points are going to be hard to get in this game. So our defense really needs to bring it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Georgia's QB was not well contained, and a lot of his success stemmed from that. He's short relative to the ideals for the position at this level of play. If they can force him to have to make the throws in the pocket while under pressure, he's going to throw some picks. I'm sure of it. If you look, a lot of his throws came as he rolled away from pressure, OR right to the middle of the field to someone wide open. He's not bad, but he isn't SEC caliber.

8. Tar Volon

14-point dogs. I expected that after the show Georgia put on in prime time, but I’ll be disappointed if we don’t keep it inside the number at least. If the defense looks better and the OL plays well, there’s no reason we can’t be within two scores. If both of those happen and JG plays well too, we may win.

A-Smith likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is based partly on their performance against Auburn, who is still ranked ahead of us. Does anyone who has watch all 4 games in which either of Auburn or Tennessee has played believe Auburn is a better team? I doubt it. That line is almost enough to drive me to gambling. I think it will be closer to 10 by the end of the week. I think Tennessee has a chance to win outright, let alone keep it within 2 touchdowns.

10. Tar Volon

I think the line would’ve been between 8-10 if it had been set 24 hours ago. That Auburn game is worth a ton for Georgia’s perception. I haven’t gambled in a long time, but one thing I always looked for is a chance to bet against a team that just turned in a vastly better performance than they’ve shown in the past. Maybe it’s a turning point and they’re a national title contender. More likely, they’re not reproducing it two weeks in a row. Add that and the trap game aspect, and I wouldn’t touch Georgia at that number with a ten-foot pole.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Tennessee is better than Auburn and Pruitt is a better HC than Malzahn.

hohenfelsvol and justingroves like this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I really don't like Malzahn's offense and I really don't like Chad Morris as OC.

13. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I think out of all the games on the schedule I might want this one the most.

I don't expect us to win but I expect it to be way closer than the last 3 years. A win here could do wonders for this year and would be a pleasant surprise.

We really let this series get away from us a bit after owning them through the 90s and I would love to start evening the score with them again.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    A-Smith likes this.
  14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I'll be very disappointed if we aren't playing nasty out of the gate.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pruitt is in Kirby’s head bad.

don’t underestimate that.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt drove Kirby's wife to the hospital when she thought she was giving birth, he's told that story way too much to not be attempting to piss Smart off

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They legitimately do not like each other

Memtownvol and NYY like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wouldn't be shocked to see Banks get booted quickly

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I genuinely hate Georgia. It's a worthless school who's biggest claim to fame after Herschel was beating Tennessee a few times with David Greene and David Pollack until Smart watched Tua become a household name against him.

They squander talent, they don't win shit and they act like they have the history of elite football schools.

InVolNerable, Duckman and SetVol13 like this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I mean it worked out as well as it could have for everyone’s mental health with Doeren. His and ours. He doesn’t belong in the SEC and his family should enjoy that Raleigh quality of life and that pickled pig bbq recipe they are so high on. We just very politely tweeted to him that he would be happier there. He just needed some online life coaching really

InVolNerable, justingroves and dknash like this.