The Cosmos Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 13, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

he may also want to look up what the gilded age refers to. Accidentally quite ironic phrasing.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Capt Kirk about to go into space...

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

will be the oldest person sent into space yet. 90.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

When money is the thing that makes one an astronaut, I suppose we are officially at "space is the final frontier."

6. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Why is there something rather than nothing? Watch the whole video if you have a strong interest in philosophy but the answer can be found at 21:10

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

8. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

49 Winchester slings out bangers. Had to mention to my cousin from Leesburg that his Virginia is nothing like Castlewood. But still, go and see them in small rooms before they get big.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

10. Equine Ducklings

Equine Ducklings New Member

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

NorrisAlan likes this.
  12. Equine Ducklings

If you could travel at the speed of light you could traverse the equator of the earth over seven and a half times in the course of a single second. If you set out on a voyage from our planet to the farthest known star in the observable universe, however; that trip would take about fifty billion years at the same speed.

I try to remind myself of this when I’m either too high or too low. If I’m too full of myself the remedy is to truly appreciate my cosmic insignificance and mortality. If I’m depressed or anxious or self conscious I focus on what a miracle it is that anything exists at all. I try not to squander the brief chance I have to commune with this mystery.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  13. Equine Ducklings

What’s the difference between a million and a billion? Basically a billion.

It would take about 12 days to count to a million if you take no breaks. A billion? try 32 years.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, Penrose's stuff has been debunked a lot. But the quantum woowoo people keep bringing it up, same with quantum doppelgangers and other things that are misunderstood

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, physicists do not understand the nature of it enough to try and map onto a biological system as a potential explanation. Certainly not in a scientifically testable way. But in particular the way the article framed the measurement problem as a sort of feature to allow this projection was just inaccurate.

16. Equine Ducklings

I’ve been saying this in private for years. It warms my heart to finally see someone with the courage to utter this essential truth in a public forum.