Ginormous Games at Neyland

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 13, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stroud's numbers will probably decline with cold weather games and tougher competition. If hooker wins this game and just continues as he has so far, it will be the obvious choice.

2. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Hendo Cinco

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I wouldn't say there was no expectation either. We started the season ranked #10. I remember that season more as UT getting wins by the skin of their teeth and a whole lot of pretty paltry offensive performances.

Looking back at it, I would say that 1998 team was probably one of the least dominating National Champions in modern history compared with the following Florida State, Miami, USC and then the rotating door of Bama/Clemson/Ohio State teams that followed.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

But relative to the manning years before it, fans didn't see even an sec championship as the expectation

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

They didn't last year.

He played 3 ranked teams back-to-back-to-back and was 97/122 1187 yards 13 TD 0 INT. Those were 2 games at Ohio State and 1 at Michigan. It was literally snowing against Michigan and he went 34/49 394 2 0

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well shit. [uck fay] him anyway though. Vols.

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's true. It's not like there were National Champ expectations.

If anything, we're on a much more convincing trajectory now than we were at pretty much any point in 1998.

That '98 team IMO doesn't win that game if Weinke plays and that team doesn't win in any other year in the BCS era

TangoUniform and Volokie like this.
  8. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I don’t buy that. Only reason that game was close was Travis Henry fumbling in scoring position. Not trying to be a jerk but we were better than FSU. Now If you want to say we got lucky A&M knocked out K State fine. That was the team I feared

InVolNerable likes this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

22 Alabama

IP, utvol0427, 10SEvols and 4 others like this.
  10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

That HAS to be the biggest. Right?!

11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We are 6-0.

We are six and [uck fay]ing oh, gentlemen.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This one is up there. We are now in the driver seat for a playoff spot

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Asked an older gentleman in the way out where this one ranks, and he told be he's had season tickets since 1980 and this is the best one he's seen.

15. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I remember the 1990 season well because it was my freshman year. 45-3 v Florida was devine. For the Notre Dame game, I sold my student ticket (!!!) to some knucklehead on the strip for $100, and went back to Clement Hall to watch it on tv.. and one of the guys on the floor decided he was gonna watch it on tv as well... So I took his ticket and still went to the game. lol.
    Was in the rain at the 92 Florida game, too. Good times.

Anyway, back on topic... I just think the two biggest games in Neyland in modern history are 98 Florida and this one, 22 Bama. Just those two.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It was just an incredible [uck fay]ing game. They took their best shot. Can’t say Bryce Young didn’t play. Hell, they can’t even say he played hurt. He played out of his [uck fay]ing mind. As incredible as it seems, we left points out there! Gave them the second easiest defensive score in Tennessee history! Missed an extra point! And WON

A-Smith, SetVol13, Memtownvol and 4 others like this.
  17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Don’t worry, they’re already out there blaming the refs, who definitely didn’t give them a free touchdown on a play that should’ve been OPI.

VolDad, IP and justingroves like this.
  18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Ha, I remember that game. I got a very expensive (obviously new) orange, fitted Power T ball cap that somebody threw over the rail from the upper deck that landed on upper deck concourse. I kept it.

I got it autographed by Fulmer, Pat Summit and Bruce Pearl. I stopped wearing it after that. They signed it at an Alumni event wife and attended. We stood and talked to Pat and Pearl for over 30 minutes. I bought them 2 beers a piece as we talked. It was cool.

UTVolinExile likes this.
  19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The lovely thing about it was ... we won. It does not matter who played. We won. Give me all the W's.

A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why would you post this?

InVolNerable and PilotFlyingJ like this.