We're Back

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Dec 31, 2022.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel has scored 60+ on Missouri two years running and Kentucky is Kentucky

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The wife and I were just talking. We were married in May of '98. We are thinking about renewing our vows to see if we could get them over the hump again, not that we are superstitious or anything.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Saban and Dabo in one season is a nice little accomplishment. Add Kelly, and we took care of three CFP coaches, and 3 of the past 4 nat champs.

Memtownvol, justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

6 of the last 7 championship winners

justingroves likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Milton plays at the Orange Bowl level, Tennessee wins 10 again next year and the qb job is handed off to the Polynesian Peyton Manning.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Heupel saying that after having Iamaleava on campus for a few weeks is not coincidental. (jmo)

TDVol1989 likes this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

dbs,lbs and speed on offense there as EEs too. Think he sees solid wr group and upgrade at lb and all db spots.

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

“Defense wins championships” isn’t true anymore. The LOSING playoff teams combined to score 86 points.

Offense is what wins now. And nobody does offense better than Josh Heupel.

A lot of fun years of football are coming.

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Vols have surrendered 14 points in the last 8 quarters while possessing one of the worst performing secondaries in BCS. Not just offense, just saying.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The days of good football teams playing 17-14 type games are pretty much over. I’ll say that. You still have to be able to get some stops though

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bold talk ahead of the national title game.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

You think that game ends anywhere close to 17-14?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, but I could envision such a scenario.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Small played since game 2 with a torn labrum and having surgery tomorrow.

15. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Gotta respect that. Tough kid. Glad he’s on our side.

Memtownvol and HCKevinSteele like this.
  16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

2nd year in a row playing with a bum shoulder. Kid is a though cookie. Glad he is on this team.

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I could envision 37-14. No way Georgia scores less than that against them.

18. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I'll hop on the "we're back" train when we repeat this kind of season two more times.
    Until then, I'll be in the back of the "I like the direction we're heading" bus.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Fair and I am probably sitting close to you. Next 2 seasons will be important.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

The "direction" is better than anything that I saw in my time at Tennessee (2002-2006). I am fascinated by the unwavering level of expectations among us. We're legitimately hardcore masochists.

I am 38 years old, and there have only been 5 seasons in my life which are either better or one could reasonably argue were better: 1998, 1997, 1995, 1989, and 1985. Similar years would be 2001, 1990, and 1987. So relative to my lived experience, we are well above the mean and in the high 80's of percentile of quality for the season. If the Vols only win 8 games next year, it would still mean things are trending way up from strings of sub .500 seasons.

It's clearly the best season in 20 years and, like it or not, 2021 and 2022 is better than any 2 year stretch since 2006-2007 or maybe even 2003-2004.

I'm not arguing with you sitting on the bus you are, I just hope you are fully enjoying the moment because unless you were around for some Neyland decades then you are in some of the better years you've seen right now.

TangoUniform and InVolNerable like this.