Josh Huepel gets a raise.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by The Dooz, Sep 16, 2022.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah there was always a loud faction of folks that were never on board.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

1998 season made everyone happy. Winning does that.

A-Smith and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Now that’s a clever and insightful post

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah Fulmer was completely beloved for about 3 years.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Gotta keep getting those rings

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Fulmer never fully converted the Majors segment. 1998 silenced them for a year but 1999 and the 2001 SEC Championship collapse sealed his reputation. He was living on borrowed time after that.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, the further we get from that 01 SECCG, the more we forget how big a deal it was.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think that by the late 90s, most healthy minded people within that faction of the fan base were ready to move on. Its unhealthy to hold that resentment when you have no skin in the game. It was just as that was happening that the fruits of Fulmer's labor were beginning to sprout and nobody wanted what was going to market.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

When we lost it my dad said it set the program back 10 years. I thought that was a weird thing to say at the time, and I am not really sure what reasoning caused him to say it. Honestly, I think not having a top-notch offensive or defensive coordinator is what set the program back. The recruiting went from elite to just great, and we didn't have Cutcliffe anymore.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chavis was an upper echelon DC when he and the defensive staff recruited. The offensive system needed a reboot after Randy, who should have been removed after the 2001 season. Fulmer employed a lot of people that were just happy to get paychecks and didn't want to move up, that caused stagnant coaching staffs.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Chavis had top-end talent and was good when he sent them after the QB. It was a simpler game when everyone wanted a classic dropback passer.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Amoeba!

13. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

No way, I will go to my grave absolutely LIVID every time I remember this game.

Turns out he was an unreasonable optimist.

ole_orange and VolDad like this.
  14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Oof. That hurt.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If you couldn't enjoy the Vols in the 90s I'm sorry.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you didn't enjoy them at their fulmerest, you don't deserve them at their heupelest.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It was great overall, but it wasn't all fun and giggles.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why? Just...why?

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I blamed it on Manning's never ending heistman campaign and overlooking a much lesser opponent.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I was 3 or 4 sleeping in a crib somewhere when that abomination went down. Thankful I did not have to live through that one in real time. The misery that must have been. Dad to this day though will still [itch bay] whenever that game comes to mind about the Memphis player who scored the game winning touchdown being total BS bc the dudes knee hit the ground and the refs missed it at the start of the return, allegedly. No replay back then of course.

justingroves likes this.