Josh Huepel gets a raise.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by The Dooz, Sep 16, 2022.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Seems premature to me.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is very premature. College football and basketball are crazy.

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Meh. He’s still only the 11th highest paid HC in the SEC. I don’t have a problem with it. It’s not like they gave him a Jimbo contract.

Nebraska is looking for a coach right now and he grew up in a neighboring state. I don’t think he’d go there, but after the Kiffin debacle, why tempt fate?

10SEvols, AbeFroman and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  4. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Coach Heupel has grown on me considerably and he and the staff have me excited about Tennessee football again, even optimistic about it's future. But yeah, a bit premature on the raise. How about he take us to a New's Years Day bowl at least before throwing more money at him? Then again, I'm not in charge and this is just one man's opinion.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Heupel would not have gone to Lincoln at gunpoint.

tvolsfan and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I think he deserves to be paid more than Eli Dorkwitz.

7. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Ain’t my money. Keep that man happy.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I don't mind as long as there's no extension.

EDIT: Well [uck fay]. Might as well start the Doomsday Clock

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  9. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Perhaps of more important note is Golesh getting a more than 50% raise. Probably trying to convince him to turn down mid major HC opportunities at the end of the year.

Memtownvol, CardinalVol and A-Smith like this.
  10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Through 2028. But that’s just a year.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

As long as he doesn't have some insane buyout that makes it impossible to get rid of him if necessary, I couldn't give a shit if we pay him $100 million per year.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, Heupel is underpaid still

CardinalVol likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I guess for me, and it is irrational for sure, is the timing and the optics of getting a $1million raise 2 games into season 2. Especially with the fans struggling with inflation and ticket prices going through the roof.

Emotional and irrational, but there it is.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one better is coming for less. Some worse will only come for more. This is still below his market value. Not because I am saying he has done something great, but stability has a value and you aren't coaching in this career-destroying conference for a couple million anymore. Think about the tv money and revenue as well.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Got 0 problem with it.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we have a good season, I expect another bump comes afterward. The carousel must be appeased with offerings of cash or coach. We can spare cash.

CardinalVol likes this.
  17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Not a huge fan of extensions this quickly but the pay bump is no issue. We have to stay competitive with our pay.

18. CardinalVol

Meh, not gonna fret over 1 year. That's SOP with raises now.

19. CardinalVol

Unless we have something that is completely slipping my mind, we should be as financially sound as we've been since Fulmer got fired. Unless there is a football assistant we are still paying, we should have 0 buyouts and lots of cash coming in.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I think we are closing in on only paying current employees for the first time in a decade. Over a decade?