Florida Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 17, 2023.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

UF looked pretty good in the first half (and probably would have the second half had they tried) - and we know they aren’t good. Issue is we will make the other SEC teams look quite good but we will struggle. Unless Mays is a massive missing link and he can get back this could get bad.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Evidently Mincey and Slaughter were suspended for the game. Not getting Sampson touches is like not getting Kamara touches.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If we commit 10 penalties a game and lose the turnover battle, yeah, it’ll be bad. We helped UF a lot. But we also weren’t so much better than them that we could help them and still have a chance. Which is bad, because if we were really a top 15 team, we should’ve been that much better.

4. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I was mad last night but still not irate like I was in the Doofus, Trumpet Humper, and Coach Gomer years. Last year was really special and I can ride that for a long time.

Saying that, I thought coming into this season we were an 8-4 team. But I didn't anticipate the SEC to look this bad either. Even Georgia looks beatable. Alabama is as garbage as they've been since St. Nick's first year. But we are also worse than I expected.

The coaches know way more than I ever will - at least Heupel so I guess we'll have to trust his judgment but from the outside looking in what difference would it make if they went to Nico next week as far as win/loss record this year?

I don't know Nico's mental ability as far as understanding not to run down playclock's and not looking lost at times. Milton made a lot of mental errors and looked totally lost several times last night - and he's done that for years. Maybe Nico is no better but could he learn on the fly and improve? I think Milton at this point is what he is. I don't totally blame him for last night's effort as the OL sure looked like hot garbage too but Milton definitely don't give that dynamic of being able to scramble out of trouble either. He's got a cannon for an arm - Jeff George like - but this is his last year. Nico likely has 3 years. So if the win/loss record would basically be the same with either QB this year wouldn't it make sense to get Nico going so next year's team has the capability to be better with him getting that much live experience? Or does Heupel see the horrible OL play and want to protect Nico from getting destroyed?

And Tim Banks and his defensive staff can go ahead and hit the road IMO. He shouldn't have been back this year.

HotlantaVol likes this.
  5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think it's a bit of a pattern with road games in tough environments at this point. LSU is the obvious outlier, but it was a brunch game, and I guess their fans were asleep. We also put it away super early, and it feels like a one-off.

OL was similar with the pre-snap penalties against Georgia last year, and I've blocked out the South Carolina game, but I'm sure they were similarly effective to last night (I think the penalties may have been cleaned up somewhat? Could be wrong). We need to figure it out, because Bama looks vulnerable at the moment, and it would be a shame to just hand them another win like we did in the first half last night.

6. Ssmiff

Milton graded out better than any other player last night. He’s got issues and limitations and has to play better but is getting the brunt of blame and I’ve got him down the blame list under Heup, Banks, Hazle, Martinez, Hadden and Ollie.
    We cannot keep running hurry up and obvious run up the middle on short yardage. We are telegraphing it and not using qb run to keep them from sending 6 at the rb up the middle. Peay did same thing and stuffed us for 3-4 yard losses. 4th down after ref kicked the ball never had a chance.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

7-5 sounds right, +/- 1.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The qb doesn't have to run if he feels pressure and slides away

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The Dan Marino Shuffle.

10. Ssmiff

it’s wide open though. Have to be able to take 5-9 yards when it’s there.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

What bothers me the most is Banks has always been known as a super-aggressive, stunt-happy DC.

We saw none of that last night. It's one thing to have a gameplan. It's another to not be who you are. He overthought it on the defensive side of the ball and it bit him. I don't recall ever seeing a worse tackling team effort as last night.

At any level.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The knock on their QB has always been if you pressure him, he will shit down his leg. We sent four most the night and gave his weasel ass time to check down. And we tackle like Helen Keller in a mine field.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I agree for the most part. That INT was absolutely heinous but Milton isn't the biggest issue on offense.

However, while he is throwing well enough and isn't making enough mistakes to be the biggest issue... we have a lot of lost yards and scores when he doesn't tuck and run or make the right read. He panics and tries to push it and that showed last night. He usually reads and takes the check-down but last night missed some big check-downs because he was panicking. Hooker didn't do that.

14. Ssmiff

He’s reading late, not a run threat and doesn’t get us out of telegraphed runs by whomever is calling plays. OC and OL aren’t helping him out. Neither is not having Sampson in the flat waiting on a dump pass with an LB 10 yards away.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I just want to show up at a hostile environment, with our team believing they belong there. Just sick and tired of looking scared shitless in big road games, even when we're double digit favorites. I've never seen a team get in their own heads as much as we do. Players or coaches doesn't seem to matter, this always happens.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Milton can't get the [uck fay]ing call in and spends 20 seconds attempting to tell the oline what to do. He has no feel in the pocket. He's oblivious on the field.

He's a huge problem

Volsdude likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

And Thornton is 6’5, 1 v 1 on a deep ball and doesn’t leave his feet to go up and get it.

18. Ssmiff

I’m also tired of the OC or qb giving the ball to an RB who just had it 3 times. He’s gassed. Everybody knows. Next carry is for no gain everytime and he’s tapping his head cause he can’t breathe

TDVol1989 likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The before-snap stuff is the worst. Feel like the average fan isn’t understanding that

Volsdude likes this.
  20. Ssmiff

We sure do look like we are missing sec OPOY qb, bilitnikoff winner, 1st round RT, Ced, Mays and the OC.