Florida Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 17, 2023.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That is something that stuck out to me as well. We have laid stinkers on the road in hostile settings since he's been here. He can't seem to get their intensity up and they often look unprepared/lost.

21 Kentucky is probably the only exception. 22 LSU kinda doesn't count because it was a noon game which just sucks, especially @LSU at noon.

Other than that, it seems more likely than not we'll come out with low intensity and lacking preparation. Luckily A&M is at home this year, but with how the OL/QB/WRs are playing I don't feel good about that. D will not be able to keep them under 30 points.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Somehow this ended up a 10 yard run

Attached Files:

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Oh hell:

That can't all be on Milton, but looks like he's not inspiring any confidence either.

Wonder where we'd be with Tayven Jackson right now.

4. Ssmiff

2nd and 10 and we have 1 safety 25 yards deep with no one within 15 yards of him. Another safety almost 20 deep and no defenders in the middle of the field reading a man coming into their area.

Attached Files:

5. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

I honestly don’t think it’s generally an intensity problem, Saturday aside. I think it’s a communication problem. The check with the sidelines, then audible at the line, and communicating with the OL in a stadium hitting 100+ dBs, with all that entails seems to be the biggest problem. I don’t know how to fix that, but it’s imperative they do because it’s killed us a few times.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That zone defense [uck fay]ing sucked.

7. Ssmiff

Sending 5, good blitz. D should know to cover tight. This bullshit keep it in front of you. Qb has 2 guys more open than the slant for 1st down. We have a safety [uck fay]ing 25 yards deep and 2 more defenders staring at the qb and not within 5 yards of a wr.

Attached Files:

8. Ssmiff

I’ve seen enough. Didn’t do my usual Sunday morning film because I was unexpectedly more pissed than in awhile. These are the reasons why. We can blame Milton or Ollie or dbs but this is just passive, scared, stupid coaching especially vs the offense we were playing.

VOLinDAWGland and IP like this.
  9. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

I gotta believe this year will be it for Banks.

10. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Did Banks sign an extension or is this his last year as well?

11. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Fwiw Basilio had said there was a rift with the WR room due to being unhappy with Milton and the offense to this point.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

When you get open and no one throws you the ball you start to get grumpy.

justingroves and Memtownvol like this.
  13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

A thousand wide receiver screens don't do much to boost your NFL resume.

Memtownvol, warhammer and Daddy Gee like this.
  14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

There is and was a misconception about this being a run-first offense. They run the ball a lot, everyone gets touches, yes. But for this to be an effective run first offense, they need to mix it up with the formations, and personnel. Hookers quick decision making was an asset to last year's offense but now Miltons lack of is negating that and so the wide spreads and quick hits aren't effective when you do it all the time. They need to introduce pacing and scheme to make the offense more effective. Because even though Milton isn't Hooker, it's not like he hasn't been effective, and honestly Donte Thornton dropping deep balls is killing us. He's GOT to be that explosive guy and he's just not gotten it done enough.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I will say that I know what they are doing by formation. Usually when I can know what a team is doing by formation, they struggle on offense. I am not a football guy.

Example: 3 WR to one side arranged close: it is going to 100% be a WR screen. And if you know that is coming, you can play it very well. And that's what teams do. We don't attack downfield or run out of those looks.

16. Ssmiff

Don’t think we will be getting many portal wr looks if something doesn’t change.

17. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

It's just a matter of time before Nico is given the reins

justingroves likes this.
  18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

One last thing, I'm so glad this game is going away on a permanent basis. This fanbase puts way too much stock into what, this year especially, is a not very meaningful game. There's still a lot to play for this year, and if we can string a full 4 quarters together I think we're still a top 10 quality team. OL and LB need to improve massively for us to do so, though.

LawVol16 and warhammer like this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I believe this is true unless something drastic changes with Milton in command, or...

This turns out to be true.

My opinion is that we need more help in the trenches than WR at present and could use some help in the secondary as well though.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The OL recruiting has been poor until this season and it's hurting us.

Memtownvol likes this.